Rare Blue Fawn Rouens

Yes, I know about the variations in Rouens, but you cannot get a blue Rouen from 2 regular grey parents. It is impossible. You can, however, get them from crossing a saxony and a grey Rouen. Could it be that the hen that died left some eggs that were hatched by another duck?

not true genes can mutate and create a sudden change.

Welshies to stop people from questioning you, go get a blood test done to test the genetics of your birds, your local universities will take samples from a vet. Also if you get the breakdown of the genes on paper you can find which gene changed if both parents are shown to be pure bred rouens.

Last edited:
not true genes can mutate and create a sudden change.

Welshies to stop people from questioning you, go get a blood test done to test the genetics of your birds, your local universities will take samples from a vet. Also if you get the breakdown of the genes on paper you can find which gene changed if both parents are shown to be pure bred rouens.

It's fine. I don't really wish to spend that amount of money right now and I probably will just get some other pure breeds anyways and use those for hatching.

I'm not trying to be rude either, but rather trying to educate.

What you are suggesting, Buff Goose Guy, would be SO highly unlikely. It would mean that the mutation would have to occur in one of the sex cells before dividing, the hen or drake with the mutation would have had to donate sex cells (eggs or sperm) from the time before and after the mutation (since not all of the offspring had it), and it would just happen to be the incompletely dominant blue gene mutation, out of the hundreds of thousands of possible genes.

Since the breeder has (or had) both blue runners and saxony ducks which carry the blue gene, I think that is a much more likely option. But I guess anything is possible.

I'm not trying to be rude either, but rather trying to educate.

What you are suggesting, Buff Goose Guy, would be SO highly unlikely. It would mean that the mutation would have to occur in one of the sex cells before dividing, the hen or drake with the mutation would have had to donate sex cells (eggs or sperm) from the time before and after the mutation (since not all of the offspring had it), and it would just happen to be the incompletely dominant blue gene mutation, out of the hundreds of thousands of possible genes.

Since the breeder has (or had) both blue runners and saxony ducks which carry the blue gene, I think that is a much more likely option. But I guess anything is possible.

No I totally agree that the chances are VERY high for this to happen, but you know it is always still a possibility. It's the same scenario of Albinism and melanism it happens even out of hundreds and thousands of possibilities it does happen. Which is how I have melanistic mallards genetically tested and proven as pure bred, I also have a pedigree going back decades.

Please share what blood test you are doing to determine the genotype of mallard derivative birds.

Specifically testing for what genetics?

It is the states university blood test, that shows purity of breeds, same one they use for dogs when you want to enter them in the AKC, they just use duck genetics in the place to determine what breed it is, so they could easily tell the difference between any duck breed. . Once that is done I simply just asked them to send a copy of the genes present that caused the specific change in phenotype. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom