Rare chicken breeds desired for their meat qualities?

CDchicken - I love the project breeds you're working on !

Do you have posts / threads dedicated to them? My only choice (to start with) will be Marans/Bielefelder, After that, maybe some egg swaps :)
I think there is a bit of discussion about the Isbar x Cream Legbar (Autosexing Isbar) in the Isbar thread. Specifically it discusses the breeding plan so that we infuse autosexing genes into the Isbar breed.

I haven't had time to create threads yet.

Quote: WOW nice list of breeds, I would hate to have to choose between them. Which are your favorites and what do you like most (and least) about each breed?
I also have the crested creme legbars and white bresse. The swedish flower hens where on my short list, and EVERYONE wants the AYAM CEMANI !
droolin.gif

I just got some ayam cemani x orpington chicks from a friend yesterday. Intended for my meatie projects, and acquiring svart honas soon as well as bresse and pure breed ayam cemani (orpington rooster jumped the fence into the cemani run it seems).

I know everything plays a part, breed, conditions, feed etc. I'm curious as to the flavor of the dark/black meat chickens as well as bresse. But atm am playing with 'regular'dp chicks. These mixed chicks I have show a bit of yellow/white leakage, some more than others.

The only dark black meat that I have tasted was Silkie.

Silkie meat is a delicacy in Aisia but is very tough and can not be used in standard chicken recipes. It requires a lot more tenderizers than your fast growing Cornish cross. We found a signature recipe from an Asian Restaurant that used a Coke based marinade. It was possibly the best flavored chicken I have every had but was still quite tough even with the coke marinade and slow crock pot cooking that we used to tenderize it.

Still haven't had any friend invite me over for Bresse. I am open to invitations. :)

Oh...and that yellow leakage won't effect the meat at all.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It is a challenge and experiment. I'm going to have to learn to caponize. I may as well learn on the .80 each or free chicks than ones that are very expensive.

But then again, with so much going on, I might wait until I get the next flocks up and laying/breeding well and try on those hatchlings.

Yes, i have both heard and read that caponizing improves the meat quality. Its a bit of an art but can be mastered.
My utility shed conversion to a secondary coop used for breeding is almost complete. My Malines Will house there for the winter along with a couple of barnevelders. Can't wait until spring to start increasing some good stock. 2 bloodlines should do the trick for a while.

Caponizing intimidates me, but after reading more, and talking with my bf, we'll do it with the males I have running around outside atm to #1 prevent crowing #2 better meat quality #3 practice.

Everyone made it through another night phew.

Just one article from a study done last year. I'm not entirely convinced that caponizing actually increases meat that significantly to make it worthwhile.

http://www.sokvetjournal.net/images/PDF/Vol_11_2/mahmud et al.pdf

The Malines fulfill our family's needs very well. Our 17 week old cockerels this season weighed on average of 5lbs processed. Did a few at 20 weeks & were 7 lbs processed. Meat stays tender up to 6 months of age. We even have a stellar laying hen. An egg a day for 10 days, then she takes one day off & the cycle starts again. My other hens 4-6 eggs a week.

I have yet to see any other heritage chicken breed (rare or not) top the Malines. ;)

Back
Top Bottom