Rare chicken breeds desired for their meat qualities?

Bethel3330, Wow! This breed dates back before the Roman Empire. Even Julius Ceasar made comments about it. It has good weight on both the cockerel and hen. It is really quite a classical bird in history and a great survivor. Apparently they didnt eat all of them! Pretty good choice in my opinion! Wish you luck on this one.

Aw, thank you! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I just now saw your post! :)
Neat info. I'll have to read up on the history more. That is really cool!

I'd love to hear more answers. I am tempted to get one or two birds of a few different breeds to 'taste test' before I jump into raising birds for meat. The more I research culling and processing birds, the more I am turned off by grocery store meat.

Amen, me too. We're going to try a few here and there as well.

Taste? Ha, it tastes like chicken! This is where the line gets drawn in the sand. Certain factors truly can make a difference in the tablefare you choose. Size and weight of bird is important, but what else? Well, recipes can do wonders and methods of cooking are all a bonus in flavoring the chicken you eat.
One has to assume the breeders of meat birds took all this into consideration specific to the origin and life style of their country. Hats off to those people who had a hand in creating some of these breeds. I just hatched out some Belgian malines. A disease at the end of WW2 almost made this delectable meat bird extinct. Efforts are being made to bring it back in both numbers and quality. Consider this as one of the better choices. I have yet to taste this yummy bird. I will keep you posted !

Last edited:
Yesterday I was having a ho hum day as I was packing away the incubator for this season. I was very fortunate to hatch out 9 of the malines breed. So next spring the game is on to breed more.
Not quite happy yet and still wanting another breed to accompany it. My Canadian friend Shelley had mentioned the Sussex to me before and I gave it another look. Of course I
was stealing her idea, but what are friends for? Yep, its not that rare but it is a large bird used in England before the Cornish came about. This one definitely deserves a look people.good flock and brooding qualities. Very docile. Comes in colors and is very reasonable in price.

Yesterday I was having a ho hum day as I was packing away the incubator for this season. I was very fortunate to hatch out 9 of the malines breed. So next spring the game is on to breed more.
Not quite happy yet and still wanting another breed to accompany it. My Canadian friend Shelley had mentioned the Sussex to me before and I gave it another look. Of course I
was stealing her idea, but what are friends for? Yep, its not that rare but it is a large bird used in England before the Cornish came about. This one definitely deserves a look people.good flock and brooding qualities. Very docile. Comes in colors and is very reasonable in price.

I only hatched 1 of my coronation sussex out of 9 eggs. And 1 basque out of 6. But they came from Pa and I'm in La. Next time maybe better luck. I love both of these breeds because they are friendly and get along. Don't pet the roosters. They will turn mean on the Basque. I'm waaaay too hot for Malines.
big_smile.png

:lol: Steal away my friend! Congrats on your first Malines hatch. May they be everything you've ever wanted in a chicken. :)

i'm in Australia , we have Austrolorps they are a multi breed producing a large number of eggs as well as a large body for meat.
it's great to have a bird you only need one pen . if you are crossing two or more breeds you need several different pens to keep your pure lines going
if you don't have a source to get breeding stock on a regular bases . Austrolorps are good broodies . they lay a good size egg as well.
they come in black ( common ) blue & white ( harder to fine ). unfortunately we don't have some of the breeds you have over there

i'm in Australia , we have Austrolorps they are a multi breed producing a large number of eggs as well as a large body for meat.
it's great to have a bird you only need one pen . if you are crossing two or more breeds you need several different pens to keep your pure lines going
if you don't have a source to get breeding stock on a regular bases . Austrolorps are good broodies . they lay a good size egg as well.
they come in black ( common ) blue & white ( harder to fine ). unfortunately we don't have some of the breeds you have over there

Hey buddy,
welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you. I don't have a source for really good Austrolorps. I know that yours over there are fab.
big_smile.png

Here in Catalonia are very appreciated the Catalana del Prat or "Pota Blava" (blue leg) and the Black Penedesenca. In the imporved varieties theys produce a good quantity of delicious meat in 14-16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom