Rare chicken breeds desired for their meat qualities?

You are right, some meat birds would not suffice as good egg layers. Funny you should mention the sussex! I just got some for meat until my malines start producing offspring next year. The sussex chicks are very calm and very friendly. I am really impressed so far. Curious little birds and good appetites!
tongue.png
Oh !!! Soooo Jealous! I looked for light sussex this spring from breeders. But I never did find them. I'm done adding for now, maybe next year.

The Buckeyes are my #1 breed, But, I like all the breeds I have right now.

Ta ta ta, I didnt say "light" sussex. I just said sussex. I have the speckled version. We had a cold spell here in Michigan and some didnt survive shipping. Fortunately they replaced the birds out of reserve and I ended up with 5 golden cuckoo marans! Naturally I paid the difference for these, but it is well worth it. :p

Oh !!! Soooo Jealous! I looked for light sussex this spring from breeders. But I never did find them. I'm done adding for now, maybe next year.

The Buckeyes are my #1 breed, But, I like all the breeds I have right now.

Yeah, me too, and couldn't find anything at all. Then I found a guy in Dallas that was selling 2 week old unsexed for $25 ea with a min of 8 and shipping was $40. No thanks. I told him too high and he came down on the price to $ 175 for 6. Again, no thanks. I noticed he was selling his 2 yr olds for $25 but I would have to go pick up. So I'm going to try again in the spring. PM me and I'll tell you a source.

Well if its a good price is dependent upon quality of the breeding. A friend of mine told me to start with the best breeding stock possible. It costs the same to feed either.

I have 4 light sussex chicks from Greenfire Farms. I got them in a rare chick special. I was trying to sell them as I already have too many chicks of various breeds. I hear they are really good layers so now I'm thinking I might give them a try.

Well if its a good price is dependent upon quality of the breeding. A friend of mine told me to start with the best breeding stock possible. It costs the same to feed either.

I would hazard it costs much less to start with quality stock. It would take a knowledgeable breeder starting with scruff 5+ years and hundreds of chicks annually to get and end result somewhere near quality, and even then they might still be disappointed. Calculate the feed, time and growout worries for that and you have a major wallet dent.

just my 2¢

I breed Bresse, Bielefelders, and Sulmtalers, and English Orpingtons for my meat birds. I gave up on Marans as the Roos tend to be human aggressive. And for my black meat birds, I have my Ayam a Cemani and my Svart Hona.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom