Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

buckeyes originated in Ohio so there are more breeders in that state. That is why there are more at that show. I'm sure if you compared that to the upcoming Shawnee show there would be a lot less.
wink.png

Quote:
No surprise there. 1. Ohio is known as the Buckeye state. 2. Laura Haggarty aka Pathfinders is president of the Buckeye club and she lives in Northern Kentucky.

Thanks, Illia for that info!

I've decided that as soon as I am able to build another coop, I am going to get into breeding one of these rare breeds. Just need to decide which one!

That I did not know about Buckeyes.

There were 4 Barnevelders, just barely close to making my list.

I believe Wyandottes were also the highest in number due to the populous amount of Wyandotte breeders near the Okie/Kansas/Arkansas/Kentucky sort of area.

There were 7 Cubalayas.

I believe, though, that Chris09 mentioned seeing a Redcap or two there, but maybe he meant last year.
idunno.gif

Quote:
In theory waiting to offer to others makes a lot of sense, and in the case of some new varieties or breeds would have been better. But if several breeders are working on a project, you can gain ground faster and have a larger gene pool to work with. The problem is telling who will be serious about the project and who just wants immediate pretty birds to start selling the eggs and chicks as fast as they can. I have known or several cases where someone was quite new to chickens and was very dedicated to serious work on the birds, and of other cases where people were not new, but were also not serious. Sometime it is hard to know in advance.

Such as the Lav Orpington. Going for $90 for eggs on ebay, but most look horrid. Obvious some people want the $$ and don't care about improving type.

P.T. Barnum at Ringling Brothers

He had a old saying A Sucker is Born Every Day.

Such a shame and I am trying to help a old boy get 12 Blue Plymouth Rock Eggs latter this year and having a hard time finding any. bob

Quote:
The numbers shown of any of the rare breeds is driven by location. I just returned from a small show. (900 birds, mostly bantams) and there were at least 25 Shamo's shown and I didn't show any. The PPBA show in Stockton will have 30- 50 Shamo's. The Oriental classes here in Cali are almost always over 100 birds in a big show.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom