Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Support the old breeds that made our hobby popular and always breed them to a standard of perfection to preserve their original traits so other may have them in the future.

Nice sig, Robert Blosl... I agree, and think we have to be extra careful to preserve traits such as growth rate, laying ability, agility and attitude that make so many of the old breeds what they are, useful and adapted for a particular purpose, not just decorative.

Since this is the "rare breeds" thread and there's already some talk of Shamos, I thought I'd throw this out there... neat article about all the Japanese breeds including many that have never made it over here. Personally I like the Minohiki, sort of like a Shamo with a beautiful, draping decorative saddle, and the Toutenkou, a graceful red and ginger bird which would be my neighbors' nightmare, it has a 15-second high-pitched crow.

Best - exop​

Last edited:
Does anyone know if these breeds are rare or how rare?

Black Polish
Black breasted red Cubalaya
Black Frizzle Sumatra
Long Crower (Tomaru)
White houdan
Black Leghorn
Mille Fleur Leghorn

Thanks

Arent these the ones that you didnt know? The reason i am asking is because i want to order fro sandhill preservation but i dont know what i want yet, i want it to be a rare breed though. Opps sorry i thought you were the person that answered my other post.
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Honestly if you want a rare breed, order from a breeder.

Take a look at how many breeds Sandhill offers (or claims to) Someone who's actually trying to preserve a rare breed and keep it to look and act and grow like it should wouldn't have THAT many breeds.
wink.png

Part of the thrill of preserving and helping out with rare breeds is researching and really getting into the digging on who has them. . . I know Sandhill has both positive and negative feedback, but the way I see it, regardless of what people say - They've got WAY too much to offer to actually offer quality.

And I know, many people don't want to show their birds, but honestly, it is the good quality ones that count. Otherwise you're not preserving the breed by having a poor quality one, you're just supporting the production-line mimickry (and sometimes mockery) of the breed.

My two cents.

- Take Shamos for example. They're rare, expensive, and often hard to find. . . . But SOO worth the time, money, and search for.

If i got some from Sandhill Preservation would it be possible to breed them and take the best and breed them so on so on and get good quality birds?

Thanks
Quote:
Honestly if you want a rare breed, order from a breeder.

Take a look at how many breeds Sandhill offers (or claims to) Someone who's actually trying to preserve a rare breed and keep it to look and act and grow like it should wouldn't have THAT many breeds.
wink.png

Part of the thrill of preserving and helping out with rare breeds is researching and really getting into the digging on who has them. . . I know Sandhill has both positive and negative feedback, but the way I see it, regardless of what people say - They've got WAY too much to offer to actually offer quality.

And I know, many people don't want to show their birds, but honestly, it is the good quality ones that count. Otherwise you're not preserving the breed by having a poor quality one, you're just supporting the production-line mimickry (and sometimes mockery) of the breed.

My two cents.

- Take Shamos for example. They're rare, expensive, and often hard to find. . . . But SOO worth the time, money, and search for.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wrote in what I thought about the rarity of the breeds that I knew of.

I agree with OSU and I will as so add that the OP asked, "Rarest breed of chicken in the US"
Not a Variety of a breed.
But I will agree that Tomaru are rare along with all other, "Long Crower's" as in --
Tomaru
Bergischer kraeher
Denizli
Koeyoshi - KOEYOSHI means Beautiful Voice
Kosova Longcrower - Other Names: Drenica
Kurokashiwa
Shokoku
Totenko
Yurlov Crower - Other Names: Yurlovo Crower, Yurlov Vociferous (English), Jurlower Kräher (German), Yurlow kraaier (Dutch), Canterino di Yurlov (Italian).

Chris

LF White Houdans are exceedingly rare, Black Polish not as much. I've seen some Black Polish breeders on the club forum.

I would say sure, you could breed for better birds. Just don't forget to have the SOP handy.
smile.png

Although some of them, if they are indeed as bad as hatcheries, . . . Crossing them out on occasion would be your only hopes in making them better. Birds like Houdans are really, really underweight and need some help.

Back
Top Bottom