Ravens took 3 young roosters

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I had 17 young hens and roosters that are almost 3 months old. I separated the roosters from the hens and let the roosters hang free ranging in a fenced area. a few days ago I went to the coop and saw a raven eating a 3 month old rooster then fly off all that was left was guts. I collected all my young birds and counted them, I just was missing the one. I rebuilt their coop and moved them in the new pen. When I collected them again and counted I now have 14. (2 more roosters missing.) I found a leg in the free ranging area also.

I made covered areas for the big hens to hide under, I opened more pop doors so the hens can hide. The younger ones are penned safe.

As far as the raven, I see it fly around and a bald eagle. (I know where the nest is. Not going to do anything about it.)

I went for a run by my house, I found more feathers and scat, it almost looked like bear, but the droppings looked like it had macadamia nuts in it, what ever that was.

Looking back someone said it was probably the bear in our area, and the crows got the guts.
Below is a pic on our property.
bearb.PNG

Back
Top Bottom