Re-post: Help Identifying Breed of Chicks

ENor70

Chirping
Sep 16, 2015
(I originally posted this in 'Raising Baby Chicks', and probably should have posted it here. Sorry.) Hi All: As I've mentioned in another post, I'm new to chicken raising, so I need a little help from the folks at BYC, if you'd be so inclined. I ordered 28 chicks (plus the free 'exotic chick') from McMurray a while back. When they showed up in the mail at the end of March, I had 34 chicks, a few of which I lost right off the bat. Anyway, I ordered Silver-Laced Wyandottes (8 of them), Columbian Wyandottes (8 of them), Black Australorps (6 of them), and Speckled Sussex (6 of them). I don't have any problem telling those four breeds from each other; at almost a month old their feathers are easily discernible. However, I've got 4 all yellow chicks that I don't have a clue what they are. I've thought maybe Leghorns, or Cornish, or a couple other breeds . . . but I am literally guessing. @ChickenLover200 , in the 'Raising Baby Chicks' forum suggested Golden Sex Link. I'm still wondering if they're not Pearl White Leghorns. Either way, I think McMurray 'gifted me' some extras. :) Any help is appreciated. Here are some pix (sorry for the cruddy quality):

Last edited:
@chicken girl 01 - thanks for the quick reply. They are solid yellow at 4 weeks old.

Honestly White Plymouth Rocks and Leghorns are a lot a like when they are younger, but as they grow Leghorns will be slimmer and White Plymouth Rock will be heavier. I'm leaning towards White Plymouth Rock though.

Thanks, @Chicken Girl1. I'll keep watching them and post a picture or two down the road when they're bigger.

Here's an update from today. Does this pic offer a better guess for the breed? Thanks!

@chicken girl 01 - I'm with you; I'd guess it is a cockerel too. They are just shy of 1 1/2 months old.

Here's an update from today. Does this pic offer a better guess for the breed? Thanks!

If they are substantially larger than the other chicks, they are Cornish X. If they are about the same size as the other breeds, than White Rock. Too chunky a build for Leghorn. They also may be male red sexlinks.

Well, my white leg horn is not yellow anymore at 3 weeks, so probably not that. I could see them calling a white rock exotic since they're not super common. That is a good size comb and looks pink to. Maybe cockerel.

I just love the guessing game!

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom