Re-post: Help Identifying Breed of Chicks

If they are substantially larger than the other chicks, they are Cornish X. If they are about the same size as the other breeds, than White Rock. Too chunky a build for Leghorn. They also may be male red sexlinks.
I feel like a Red sex-link cockerel wouldn't be pure white at this age.

Last edited:
Red sexlink cockerels don't start getting their red/gold until their male hackle and saddle feathers start coming in, usually around 10 to 12 weeks. Up until then, they are solid white.

Thanks everyone! @junebuggena - they are the same size as the other chick breeds, so probably not Cornish X, based on what you've said. @EggSighted4Life - they have gone from yellow to white in the last week or so. I don't know if that makes a difference? And, I like this guessing game too.
smile.png
Seems from all your opinions that it is down to either White Plymouth Rocks, or Red Sexlink cockerels. I will post another pic or two at 10-12 weeks. Thanks again for the helpful input.

Cream Legbar chicks can be sexed by their down colour. The photograph below shows the difference between the male (who is lighter in appearance and has a yellow ‘spot’ on the top of his head) and the female (who has a darker back with darker ‘stripes’).
Sexing-Cream-Legbar.jpg

@EggSighted4Life - sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm new to chickens), but is the Cream Legbar example meant to describe the the sexing of day old chicks?

@EggSighted4Life - sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm new to chickens), but is the Cream Legbar example meant to describe the the sexing of day old chicks?
As far as I'm concerned there is no dumb question! Trust me, I learn something new every day (if I can). And I will ask as many questions as it takes to make sure I have a clear understanding of the who, what, when, where, and how (even if it makes me LOOK stupid). Especially pertaining to my animal family.
wink.png

Yes, that example was supposed to describe the sexing of day old Cream Legbar chicks. Did your chick look like either of those that you can remember? Some have lost their auto-sexing ability due to bad breeding selection.

Thanks, @EggSighted4Life . I completely agree with you . . . no such thing as dumb questions. Just opportunities to learn. I think they might be Red Sex Links. They are starting to get some brown in them. I found this thread this morning (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/759376/red-sex-link-pullet). Ultimately I won't know for a few more weeks, but I'm starting to lean that direction.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

Pretty sure they turned out to be Sex Links. Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom