Re-roofing my "barn"

Bummer! My number one helper got hit with a flu bug last night He said he never felt it coming on at all. Went to bed last night with Vicks on his chest and back, with waxed paper stuck to that and a t-shirt. Also put Vicks on his feet and wore socks. Today, so far, he has hardly woken up at all.

I have decided, that the ridge is too high. It's almost 4' and I don't need a 4:12 pitch... besides, the vent will be above that and it will catch too much wind. It's ok if the top of the vent is up there, but I'll most likely make the pitch 2:12 as we don't get a lot of rain here and almost no snow so I think 2:12 will be high enough.

Wow, it's been over a month since my last update.

There have been some changes. First of all, the ridge is lowered to a 2:12 pitch.

This picture is of the wall at the end of my barn, up above the "roof" line. As you can see its pretty crooked with two pieces of plywood overlapped in the middle. It was only there to block sunlight from the eyes of the person working in the "work shop" below the higher roof to the left of the plywood "wall."

This picture shows the wall I constructed for up there after moving the back wall of the barn in about 3/4 of an inch to make it square with the side walls. My ridge line is attached to and supported by the 2x4s of the wall. The rafter attached to the wall is screwed to every 2x4 across the wall.

And one shot showing most of the rafters that have been put up. The lighter colored board is my cross tie attached to the center post and the exterior wall. Once this side is completed, I will be able to remove the pallets from the other side of the roof and put another cross tie on the post from that side. Once all the rafters are in, I will be adding support to them and the ridge by tying the rafters together across the middle and also adding diagonal supports on both ends.

My son and number one helper came down with a flu bug on the last day we worked a month ago. He was down for three weeks. In the last week, we have made a few accomplishments but it won't be finished before he leaves. He leaves in 11 days to go into the Navy CBs.

YAY! I finally got this side of the roof finished! Well, the plywood anyway. Next comes the metal on top.

This pic is of the 12" overhang. I didn't figure I needed plywood over this part but the metal will come out to the edge.

And here it is from the top.

I was pretty happy to get this finished today. Tomorrow, I suppose I will start with the corrugated metal.

Metal is finished on this side. Next we get to start taking apart the other side of the flat roof. It will be more difficult I think because we'll be dismantling our work platform so I think we'll do two pallets at a time so we can at least walk around a little bit without having to balance on top of a wall!

Thanks armorfirelady.

maranfarmer563 I raise Andalusian large fowl and I'm working on a bantam line. That is all I raise. However, I do have a separate men for egg layers of different colors. They make the nicely colored dozens of eggs I sell during the summer months. I get eggs year round but not in the abundance I have in summer. Those white Andalusian eggs mixed in with the other colors sure do pop to the eyes when mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom