REALLY cold weather

DE is hard on the lungs even the food grade. It is a very fine powder. I got some to use in the coops when I first got chickens. It is a nightmare of coughing fits since it is such a fine powder. I figured since it made me cough so badly and the hens were in there far longer than I that it could not be good for their lungs either.

It is also hard on the bee population. When the hens dust bathe they create quite a cloud and it drifts over my flower beds settling on the blooms. It acts as a desiccant and cuts their exoskeletons killing them. It is what makes it work on mites and lice but also has farther reaching results.

Is that what is happening to the bee population, does coincide with when DE became popular for chicken use, I knew the stuff was evil.

I think it is part of the problem. I think another part is that as a society we use way to many chemical means of controlling yard pests. To much garden dust and sevin dust and malathion etc.
I have been back in town for 14 years and have only seen one yes that is a 1 grasshopper. Poor thing I had to set it free away from the chickens.
When I was out in the sticks you could walk through the hay field and your pant legs would have dozens hanging on when you got out the other side.

oh thats not good i never thought about the bees well won't be using that stuff

Last edited:
Yes mu husband to does his best nut he isn't momma, i just tell him they just all better be alive when i get home..to the dogs he is the fun guy...He takes the on quad runs all over the property..Well they run he putt's along at about 5 km an hour...there in and out of the bush chase a few jack rabbits...that is almost cartoon like ...I see the bunny run across the trail the dogs not that far behind but far enough in about 30 seconds bunny comes back across the trail heading in the direction he came from dog no where to be found they eventually show up...hahaha

I'm the one that takes them to the Vet feeds on time looks after them watches for all the symptoms there is something wrong here my baby's.

Well time to hit the hay

Yeah those rabbits are good at what they do, tease my dogs all winter, during the summer it's been chipmunk and raccoons.

I guess I have lazy chickens, I prefer to let nature be nature, just my choice, but I think the eggs are a by product of my enjoyment of my birds, and I'm not motel 6, I'm not leaving the light on. I was just explaining how I do things. And who knows maybe they lay sooner and I can't remember so well because of the chemotherapy I had last year. And I'm still going to feed them whether I get eggs or not.
oldhenlikesdogs, I meant no disrespect to your method of chicken keeping. Many people do the same as you! I just wanted to say that my hens never didn't molt because of the light etc. My method always has worked for me, but yours is fine also. Wishing you all the best.

oldhenlikesdogs, I meant no disrespect to your method of chicken keeping.  Many people do the same as you!  I just wanted to say that my hens never didn't molt because of the light etc.  My method always has worked for me, but yours is fine also.  Wishing you all the best.
Sorry, did sound snarky didn't I, just a bad day, I do have lazy chickens, I get too many eggs, I like when they slow down. My birds are too busy running around the countryside to finish the molt quick. I do apologize though.

this is my first year for chickens. I got 5 Isa browns at 21 weeks and are all laying wonderfully. My question is. They will not go into their coop when its snowing. They stay outside from morning til I physically have to put them in before dark. Can they get sick from being outside such long hrs in this cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom