Really mean chicken

Sometimes the young dominant hen will punish others because she sees you favoring them. But if you want to pet them do so, just don't allow her to approach and be pushy about it, if you play the role of dominant bird than it's your law. An adult would chase her and peck her or pull her feathers when she's acting full of herself.

Tame chickens often think humans are part of the flock and will dominate them the same as other members. One of the reasons I handle mine but don't pet them. Climbing on you and pecking you are signs.

Next time you pin her down wiggle your hand on her back, than run your hand over her tail feathers which will simulate mating. Young hens seem to like this and I occasionally obliged.

I absolutely adore australorps so hopefully yours calms down. She's a leader, but doesn't exactly know how to lead yet. If she starts actually causing damage you could remove her for a week than reintroduce her. It's possible than that there's a new leader and she gets pushed down a few notches.

Thank you for all the info and help!!! It's definitely useful and I will try following all of your advice and seeing if she improves. Hopefully she does because I don't want to have to ever kill a chicken, unless of course I'm specifically raising them for it but even then I wouldn't want to, and plus I don't think her behavior is really bad enough to warrant that yet. I'm hoping she learns.

Got a little bit long but here's a video of what they usually do, if it helps any. Didn't squat down this time but sometimes when i do that they come up and peck me from behind

ETA: This is their typical greeting, haven't managed to film them attacking each other yet

Last edited:
That was really helpful. She is the dominant bird, I think she's just getting up higher to show her dominance to the other hens and to talk with you. I didn't see anything there that was bad as far as behavior.

Now I'm going to say that your set up is way too small, don't take this the wrong way please, no judgement on my part, just observations, but being kept like that often brings out aggressive. I do think you said they were getting larger accommodations, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Also I can't remember if you free range or not.

When there's not enough territory to support the flock the dominant members will try to drive some of the lower birds out by pecking and chasing. I think maybe that's more what's going on. I'm not even sure how all those hens get in that house, it must be like a clown car. I would increase the coop size if possible and the run should be way bigger to allow them to work off energy during the day.

My submissive hens stay away from the dominant ones. I've noticed it ranges from 5 feet to 10 feet for it to be a safe distance for them, otherwise they get pecked.

Your hens are very pretty and it's a nice flock. My australorps have always talked to me like that, it's one of the reasons I enjoy them so much. I don't have one at the moment, but have one coming in my order, now I wished I had ordered more. I think you would deeply regret culling her.

Kdogg, you've been given some really good advice here, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse on that stuff, but I am concerned that your chicken managed to peck you in the gums (how does this happen??) and the eye! Really, chickens are quite unpredictable at time and you really, really should keep them away from your face. I'm sure it wasn't out of aggressiveness toward you but I have seen some really grisly pictures of eye injuries caused by curious chickens and I would hate for that to happen to you. Just maybe keep them away from your face? That would make me feel better lol.

That was really helpful. She is the dominant bird, I think she's just getting up higher to show her dominance to the other hens and to talk with you. I didn't see anything there that was bad as far as behavior.

Now I'm going to say that your set up is way too small, don't take this the wrong way please, no judgement on my part, just observations, but being kept like that often brings out aggressive. I do think you said they were getting larger accommodations, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Also I can't remember if you free range or not.

When there's not enough territory to support the flock the dominant members will try to drive some of the lower birds out by pecking and chasing. I think maybe that's more what's going on. I'm not even sure how all those hens get in that house, it must be like a clown car. I would increase the coop size if possible and the run should be way bigger to allow them to work off energy during the day.

My submissive hens stay away from the dominant ones. I've noticed it ranges from 5 feet to 10 feet for it to be a safe distance for them, otherwise they get pecked.

Your hens are very pretty and it's a nice flock. My australorps have always talked to me like that, it's one of the reasons I enjoy them so much. I don't have one at the moment, but have one coming in my order, now I wished I had ordered more. I think you would deeply regret culling her.

Thank you for all of your help! I think you are right that I will regret culling her, especially since it seems like she's not really doing anything wrong? Just being a talkative, curious, chicken and not enough space? I would hate to cull her for no reason or for something that's my fault.

I'm glad that her behavior there wasn't bad because I wasn't sure. Although all the chickens fly up on the roof throughout the day and on the waterer so what does that mean? Are they all trying to be dominant? Or just feel more secure up high?

No offense taken and not taken as judgement or anything at all! You are absolutely right that there is not enough space! And I think even their brooder was too small. Unfortunately they moved out at 7 weeks old and while it was plenty big then, now at 24 or 25 weeks old, it is now way too small. Surprisingly though, they all still fit and find roost space. Sometimes I take the roosts out during the day and there's a little more room but they don't seem to use it.

Anyway, we actually our in the process of building a new coop right now!

This is what we got done yesterday.

We have free ranged a few times when they were younger and more often recently but it's not that often and earlier in the week we had a hawk attack so right now they're locked up. I also got sick of watching them all day so lately it's been a few hours before they go to roost. Even when they are out free ranging though she will attack but maybe that's because she knows there is still no room in their coop?

The new coop will be 4x8, we are copying this plan.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jonny-anvils-chicken-coop

Although we're making a few changes like 3/4 pressure treated plywood on the floor and 3/8 pine sheathing instead of using OSB for everything.

Also going to add nesting box access outside and add lower roosts and a droppings board instead of using the rafters.

And more ventilation.

But besides that, basically the same.

My dad forgot to tell me he was making the base bigger but that's fine, better anyways. The base is 6x8 because he wants to put the nest boxes there as well as maybe have storage for stuff.

But yeah.

Hopefully it will be big enough?

The run I originally wanted like 8x50 but that's expensive so it will probably end up being more like 8x16, whether that's with cattle panels ("hoop coop", in this case hoop run) or wood framed HC. The current run is a 6x12 dog kennel we had laying around. It's too small but the coop is also sitting in the middle, new run the coop will be outside so it'll be wide open plus a few extra feet.

Thanks for the compliment! I do think they fit well together and all look nice and I do like tha talkative nature of the Australorps, especially since no one else really talks, so I think they are a key part of the flock and that you are right that I would miss her if she was gone. I think I'm going to just be more careful around her and stop letting them climb all over me, as well as provide the higger space, and give her another chance. :)

Last edited:
Kdogg, you've been given some really good advice here, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse on that stuff, but I am concerned that your chicken managed to peck you in the gums (how does this happen??) and the eye!  Really, chickens are quite unpredictable at time and you really, really should keep them away from your face.  I'm sure it wasn't out of aggressiveness toward you but I have seen some really grisly pictures of eye injuries caused by curious chickens and I would hate for that to happen to you.  Just maybe keep them away from your face?  That would make me feel better lol.

Thanks and well, as for her getting close to my face, the gum thing happened when I was bending down to reach under the coop to I think get their feeder and she got me. The eye thing she flew onto my leg then my shoulder and I was feeding her and she pecked me. She also rolled onto my back and wouldn't get off when I was trying to get out. I sometimes hold the others but when they look curious about my face turn away or stop them. I just wasn't careful about them. I'm not going to allow them to climb all over me anymore though.

I'll definitely be more careful! Lol

I think they fly up on the house because as you said to get a better look, as well as utilizing it as extra space. It's good you are giving them a bigger area. I saw that you got pecked in the eye, hopefully you are okay. I have turkeys too and they are way worse for trying to peck everything and anything shiny including eyes, so be careful, it's how they explore and test things out, they don't have hands so they feel with the beak.

You can always make a secure run than a less secure extension out of woven wire and posts later on. Your chickens will let you know if it's not big enough by bad behaviors, so you will have to see. They should be happy having more area, though they might want to return to what's familiar when you first move them.

I'm glad you were okay with my comments as I enjoy discussing stuff with you on the threads.
1f601.png
You don't mind my rambling on.

I think they fly up on the house because as you said to get a better look, as well as utilizing it as extra space. It's good you are giving them a bigger area. I saw that you got pecked in the eye, hopefully you are okay. I have turkeys too and they are way worse for trying to peck everything and anything shiny including eyes, so be careful, it's how they explore and test things out, they don't have hands so they feel with the beak.

You can always make a secure run than a less secure extension out of woven wire and posts later on. Your chickens will let you know if it's not big enough by bad behaviors, so you will have to see. They should be happy having more area, though they might want to return to what's familiar when you first move them.

I'm glad you were okay with my comments as I enjoy discussing stuff with you on the threads.
1f601.png
You don't mind my rambling on.

That makes sense! Maybe with more space they wouldn't do it? Though in the new one I'm gonna put more branches and stumps and things for them hopefully. And thanks! Seems to be healing now but may still go to the doctor just in case. I never thought of it like that before. Definitely gonna be careful. I've been either wearing goggles or not letting them near my face lol

That's a good idea, I never thought of that! Maybe I'll try that :) or maybe I could use that idea to provide a little bit of a bigger area in the yard without actually free ranging? And should I keep them confined to the new area for a little while so they learn where their new home is?

Awwww thank you!! That's so nice of you!! I enjoy discussing stuff with you too.
1f601.png
I tend to ramble too so no way I could mind it! We're quite a pair :lol:

Are you totally removing the old coop and run or using it for other stuff? I once switched coops with some hens, they kept wanting to go back, it took about a month or two before they gave up. Hopefully yours will like the new one enough not to want to go back, but they are creatures of habit.

I'm enjoying the thought of you wearing goggles. I probably would too after that. I don't like being pecked by anything either.

Back
Top Bottom