Recipe Check please!

Thanks for your detailed responses. That all makes sense and is consistent with my general understanding and why synthetic methionine is added to so many chicken feeds.

Sure. I don't know anything someone can't learn in a few weekends of study. Well, some trivia, but most of what I answer here on BYC can be uncovered pretty quickly (and isn't particularly disputed) with just a little bit of research or a good keyword search. It was actualy BYC that led me to most of the research, actually. I only started my own chicken journey a couple years back.

Actually, Met is very hard to get in plants, period. If you build to a 100g diet, you want a daily met level of at least 0.3% (more, much more, depending on age, breed, purpose) 100g of corn provides less than 0.2% - essentially, to meet Met levels w/ corn, you'd have to eat another 50% more - which has problems of its own. Most of the grains have Met levels (averages of about 0.2 - 0.25%) - once again, you can't met the desired Met levels w/i a 100g ration. Adding synthetic Met and Lys allows Purina and all the others to meet desired Met levels without either a lot of "waste" protein (that is, other excess amino acids the birds just poop out) and with less expensive ingredients overall.

To try and meet targets w/o using animal sources means a lot of certain legumes (like soy), which have their own problems and are costly. Using meals, an industrial by-product, like soy meal, alfalfa meal, etc both addresses some of the problems inherent in the ingredient and the cost issues. Even so, it can be difficult - which is why feeds carrying the "Organic" label can contain synthetic Met and Lys - because its that critical and there are no other practical alternatives.

Even so, total additions of synthetic Met in feed are limited by US law - its a help, not a fix.
A quick question - just to check my understanding - an alternative way to increase the methionine intake is to provide animal protein (I assume including fish).
I know many people will have reasons not to do that - but for the rest of us that would help get to the met levels that are so hard with plant protein. Correct?
I think mine get theirs mainly from bugs and worms but I do let them finish up any cat food that the cats don't eat and sometimes give them a meat bone to peck clean. I don't eat that much meat myself so that is a rather rare and much treasured treat!

A quick question - just to check my understanding - an alternative way to increase the methionine intake is to provide animal protein (I assume including fish).
I know many people will have reasons not to do that - but for the rest of us that would help get to the met levels that are so hard with plant protein. Correct?
I think mine get theirs mainly from bugs and worms but I do let them finish up any cat food that the cats don't eat and sometimes give them a meat bone to peck clean. I don't eat that much meat myself so that is a rather rare and much treasured treat!
Yes, as a % of total protein, animal products (meat, fish, insect) tend to have higher Met % than plant products.

BUT!!! Keep in mind that most of the plant products we use are dried, generally to less than 10% total moisture. That 80/20 ground beef is 80% protein (or more), 20% (or less) fat, AS A PERCENTAGE OF DRY WEIGHT. Its still 75% +/- water. Effectively, 15% crude protein.

Most get around that issue by adjusting the 100g/day feed assumption.

Yes, as a % of total protein, animal products (meat, fish, insect) tend to have higher Met % than plant products.

BUT!!! Keep in mind that most of the plant products we use are dried, generally to less than 10% total moisture. That 80/20 ground beef is 80% protein (or more), 20% (or less) fat, AS A PERCENTAGE OF DRY WEIGHT. Its still 75% +/- water. Effectively, 15% crude protein.

Most get around that issue by adjusting the 100g/day feed assumption.
Understood (I think).
Although isn’t your example 20% not 15%?
Out of 100g only 25g is ‘non-water’, and 80% of that is crude protein - ie 20g.
I am tired so may be looking at this wrong!

Yes, I took 20% of 75 instead of 80% of 25.

I make mistakes too. Thank you for double checking my math.
Funny. I was sitting here half snoozing in the Chicken yard and thinking I had messed up somehow.
Anyway, the point is the same.
Though I must say the jumbo grub that my hen Babs just consumed looks like it was a complete diet for the day. Probably all fat!

Back
Top Bottom