Recommendations for cost effective coop + run

remingtonleigh

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
North Carolina, USA
Hi again! Before purchasing anything, I’d love feedback on brands / set ups! I’m not great at building things, so the simpler, the better. I’d also like to stay under $500, if possible!

I was planning to get a dog kennel, adding a roof, and then having a coop inside!

There are *lots* of predators around, so please feel free to add any predator proofing tips!

Look up Hoop Coops in the coop article section, main page BYC.

Lots of predators: make sure you create an apron out from your enclosure, add hot wire, or bury anti-dig solution.

If you have bears, then you will need a very sturdy build, but I hear hot wire is a MUST with bears..bait it so they experience it. Build sturdier than you think or reinforce whatever you buy.

Good luck.

What predators/pests will you be dealing with?
Ditto Dat!

...and......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1713185612325.png

So with the kennel idea, the coop would be part of the run (a combo coop/run set up) or are you intending to put a separate coop inside the run?

What predators/pests will you be dealing with?
I was thinking a coop inside of a run! The predators I know are around include raccoons, possums, feral cats, coyotes, and foxes. I want to keep the coop close to my house, since the predators seem to stay away from my dog’s fenced area.

Photo of what I have been looking at…

Attachments

• IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    811 KB · Views: 14
Ditto Dat!

...and......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3801886
Oh, wow!! I didn’t even know I could do that!! Thank you - I’ll update. I’m in North Carolina!

I will add, I’m not opposed to bringing chickens in the house for periods during inclement weather, if need be!

Look up Hoop Coops in the coop article section, main page BYC.

Lots of predators: make sure you create an apron out from your enclosure, add hot wire, or bury anti-dig solution.

If you have bears, then you will need a very sturdy build, but I hear hot wire is a MUST with bears..bait it so they experience it. Build sturdier than you think or reinforce whatever you buy.

Good luck.
Thank you! I’ll check it out!! I appreciate all the great tips!

I was thinking a coop inside of a run! The predators I know are around include raccoons, possums, feral cats, coyotes, and foxes. I want to keep the coop close to my house, since the predators seem to stay away from my dog’s fenced area.

Photo of what I have been looking at…
How many birds (and what types) were you planning on getting? Because that is a very small kennel and a very small coop.

The entire kennel will need to be covered with hardware cloth if you want a predator proof run, otherwise the coop at the very least needs to be completely secured at night.

What you're looking at, I'd put max 3 in there. I bought that exact coop, never added the nest box and decided to use it for baby chicks only. It's good that you have dogs, they really help keep predators away. Also a flood light at night. The Coops section really is a great place to get ideas about upcycling. I started out with an old dog house. The more chickens you get, the more you need to expand. I went from zero construction skills to a 112ft. Coop over the years. It's not really that hard unless you look at complex plans and schematics, lol. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/ Good Luck!!

How many birds (and what types) were you planning on getting? Because that is a very small kennel and a very small coop.

The entire kennel will need to be covered with hardware cloth if you want a predator proof run, otherwise the coop at the very least needs to be completely secured at night.
I’m not 100% sure! Raising chicks for my neighbor is what made me want my own chickens! I will almost certainly be keeping one of hers (breed unknown) that seems to have some sort of runting or dwarfism. I may keep an additional chick (Brahma) who had, but recovered from what seemed to be AE - and is also a little slow growing compared to her sisters, but seems to be doing better. I am very interested in Silkies, but if I keep the Brahma, may go with a larger breed. I’d like 4 chickens.

I do plan to offer supervised free range time during the day!

I’m open to a bigger coop, too! Chain link, and the material of the kennel I sent previously looked to be more predator proof than what I’ve seen on other runs. Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom