Red blood small egg

brittany6515

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2016

I found this is the nesting box this morning. It may have been tjere a day or 2.. i have 3 hens one that is laying one that should start laying this winter sometime and one that hasnt laid since she moved in a month or 2 ago. She was also molting. Can anyone tell me whats going on? Thanks

I've never seen anything like that. What is the normal color of the egg?

Hopefully someone who know more about this can weigh in.
There is a post that shows many different types of abnormal eggs...but I don't know the thread for it.
You can also look up strange eggs. That brings up several posts about other's strange eggs.

The shell looks rough...is it as rough as it looks?

I searched through all of my subscriptions, I thought I would have bookmarked that specific thread.
Apparently not.
sad.png

If it is a tiny egg, these can be so called "fart eggs" or fairy eggs which may be fairly common, and are sort of hiccups in the laying cycle. I have one hen who is a terrible layer, and she laid a couple of eggs covered with a great deal of mineral deposits, and it looked similar to your picture. Here are a couple of links to see pictures of odd eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

I've had quite a few fart eggs...but mine have always been a mini sized version, same color...same shell texture...same everything. Just very petite.

I'm glad Eggcessive was able to post such great information. Thank you Eggcessive!!
bow.gif

(I still learning where everything is on the site...lol)

I've had quite a few fart eggs...but mine have always been a mini sized version, same color...same shell texture...same everything. Just very petite.

I'm glad Eggcessive was able to post such great information. Thank you Eggcessive!! :bow
(I still learning where everything is on the site...lol)

The ones I have seen in mine have also been the usual color, and some have been as small as my thumbnail in size, but some bigger. However, I have had some furry or powdery eggs from the mineral deposits. One even seemed to have a membrane on the outside. If you have many hens over the years, you will probably see a lot of the unusual eggs pictured in the links above.

Back
Top Bottom