Red Or Black Sex-link??

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I want to add some good layers to my flock. I was told that sex-link chickens were very good layers and that they start to lay at a younger age than leghorns or r.i.r. Which is better the black or red?

i can assure you that a red or black sex link will not lay earlier than a leghorn if u want excellet layers get Hy-line white leghorns mine start layin at 17 weeks takes 1 week to get large eggs off them and they cost about half as much to raise and keep sex links they eat 1/4 grain a day as sex links will eat 1/2 pound a day if you want make money on eggs raise them if sex links laid early and were more efficent then they would be in the commercial houses not the leghorns

Last edited:
I really can't tell you, as right now all I have are Gold/Red Sex-Links. They both lay like champs, even through this cold winter and they are smaller than the other breeds I have. I also have Australorps and they not only lay wonderful, but are also very cold hardy. I wanted more sex-links, as I adore the two I have now and chose the Black this time, in hopes that it will take on some of the Australorps genes (bigger, more cold hardy).

Sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer
wink.png

My choice are the black stars and I'm sure other BYC'ers here will agree or disagree with me or say they are equal. I have 2 black stars and 2 red stars. The red stars tend to pick on the other hens I have, disregarding the pecking order. I also feed them treats and when one of the red stars feed from my hand,their peck feels like a hammer hitting my hand. The two red stars are excellent egg layers,no doubt. One of my black stars and two of the red stars are one year old. The other black star is 4 years old and still laying daily, even in molt. She might take a day or two off once every two weeks from laying then start up again. She is a true egg laying machine. I hope the younger stars continue laying as long the older one. The black stars seem to be more friendly and gently peck the treats from my hand when feeding them. They get along extremely well with the other hens. The red stars will sometimes peck at the younger black star even though the three were raised as chicks day one together. I have one white leghorn that lays daily also.
She just recently went through a mini molt and didnt lay for about two weeks. However from my experience it seems after about a year,leghorns slow down their laying quite abit. I forgot to mention that from my experience, leghorns lay sooner than red/black stars and rir's as well as most other hens.

Last edited:
I have RSL and BSL - some from hatchery chicks, some from my own hatches. In my experience, they lay about equally - 6 eggs/wk in Summer, 5/wk in Winter excluding molt.

The BSL tend to be a little heavier bird, and a bit more easy-going. I find this more significant in the ones I've hatched myself because they all have the same RIR roo for a father. I'm using Delaware hens for the RSL croos, and BR hens for the BSL cross. FWIW I also think the BSL is a prettier bird.

I keep both, and other breeds, because I enjoy having birds in different colors.

Best wishes with whatever you choose.

I only have two red-sex links and no black ones, but they started earlier and outlay every other hen in my mixed flock. I would not have an entire flock of them ONLY because I enjoy all the different colors (both hen and egg) and personalities that I get with a mixed flock. I do recomend them highly though. Mine are prolific layers--13 eggs per week between the two hens, they started laying at 17 and 18 weeks, friendly to me and middle of the order in the flock.

I wanna know why my BSL grew up into a "red" bird. Is that because the sex-linked bit is only for sexing as chicks? Every time I tell someone "Greta is a Black Sex-Link" they look at me like I'm nuts.
41679_gretapractice.jpg

Uhhhh... sorry for hi-jacking the thread for a second. Hopefully somebody else might want to know the same thing (I sure hope I'm not the only idiot).

Well I have both. I'm partial to the blcks as I love the coloring in the feathers when the sun hits them just right. The red seem a little more stand offish, the blacks will get right up in your face! That might just be a hand-me-down from their mommas though. They are all comical and because of their daddy being a RIR they are more aggressive and higher on the pecking order then other breeds. Great layers , both, because of the RIR genes. BIG EGGS! Almost 5- 7 per week per hen.

Thanks one and all for the great info! I will defiently be adding both to my flock now after hearing all of the good reviews on them. Have a great weekend everyone and GOD bless!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom