Red Ranger Chickens

I held over a Pioneer hen last year. She became the first pullet to lay that year, became my most productive bird. I've hatched some of her babies EE x P and they are nice meaty looking birds. I'll be holding a couple of her pullets for the laying flock.

I have some Red rangers and thinking of keeping a rooster for our flock of 15 hens (6RIR, 6 glw, 3 silkies). It is interesting to see that a few of you have kept some. Do you have any advice on what to feed the one we'd like to keep? Also are they winter hardy?

Last edited:
I held over a Pioneer hen last year. She became the first pullet to lay that year, became my most productive bird. I've hatched some of her babies EE x P and they are nice meaty looking birds. I'll be holding a couple of her pullets for the laying flock.
just got 20 Red Ranger peeps, they eat like crazy LOL

i'll see how they do

once they get some size to them i'll let them freerange with my DP flock of Orpingtons

I have 6 older Red Ranger Hens they put out about 3 to 4 eggs a day, I have not had to feed them any extra because they are excellent free rangers.
One had a leg problem around a year old, so we ate her and she was very yummy and fit in the crock pot perfect.

I have 2 red ranger chickens. One lays a nice 2.5 oz egg almost every day. The other lays a jumbo about every other day. They will be a year old the first week in April. They are big girls but no leg problems yet.

We processed some last October. They were psychotic, except for one sweet girl. We kept her (her name is Gloria Gaynor), and aside from being a little skittish, she's great. She is pretty normal in size and doesn't eat like crazy. In fact one of our BO eats more then she does. She is also a great layer.

2 years ago I had 14 Red Rangers I raised for meat. They dressed out at 7-8 lbs in 12 weeks with organic Fred and outside activity in a 9'x12' chicken tractor I made out of pvc pipe hoops and chicken wire. They loved the grasshoppers in the farm yard. I did hav son toes that crossed over each other but now lame. They are large and don't take the Wisconsin heat too good so I had to feed them watermelon and must them in August because they do pants when hot and one died.As seen from others here feeding schedules and from my experience, if keeping them for laying you'll have to control their food intake. Love the breed.

I had two, they had the thickest skin. I dunked them over and over and still the skin tore when I was pulling out the feathers. Not worth the money or the aggrivation for the meat ratio.

I purchase 6 red ranges at tractor suppy 6 years. now im down to 2, due to a severe heatwave (I'm presumeing). They have layed nearly everyday sience they started and just started declineing in egg production last summer. Now I'm getting about 5-6 eggs per week. And this easter i bought five more red rangers. i hope there still the same mix now as they were back then.

Back
Top Bottom