Red spot on chest?

pc88

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
I have a hen who has had what appears to be losing of some feathers on her upper chest for a few weeks now. And this morning I noticed she had a red spot on her chest. She has been acting/eating completely normal. There is also a red spot much lower on her belly. Being she's about 20 months old, I'm wondering if this may be molting? None of the other girls have this going on now and only 1 hen molted earlier this year. She didn't act like it was painful when I picked her up to take a look. I appreciate any thoughts.
IMG_9507.JPG

It more likely is the beginning of breast blisters from roosting on a rough perch or a perch that's too small. You need to see if these abrasions line up with where she's sleeping at night.

The solution is to treat the abrasions as wounds so they don't become infected and to make any necessary alterations to where she sleeps by perhaps padding the perch if not replacing it.

It more likely is the beginning of breast blisters from roosting on a rough perch or a perch that's too small. You need to see if these abrasions line up with where she's sleeping at night.

The solution is to treat the abrasions as wounds so they don't become infected and to make any necessary alterations to where she sleeps by perhaps padding the perch if not replacing it.
Interesting, I never would have thought of that. I'll check it out tonight and see. I'm currently using a 2x4. I can rotate the board or put a rubber strip padding on the boards like I have had in the past. I read somewhere that the thinner side of the board was better for them. Thank you.

It was hard to see exactly where they lay because they were standing on it when I went out at about 10 pm. I will rotate to the 4” side of the 2x4 today to try and see what it does.

I looked this morning and the little pouch was empty this morning. I was afraid that pouch that holds food was infected or something because that’s what I saw first. So it was flat, but still red.

Back
Top Bottom