Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
Hey guys,

I'm located near Portland, OR and we're looking to find a functional redwood incubator (perfect world right?). I've been told that they function much better than any metal or plastic based incubator and surpass them in longevity as well. We've been using Brinsea model incubators and I am not truly impressed, especially by the price they carry. Does anyone know of one near here? We are also willing to pay shipping on one that is in functional order with an automatic turner. 

Any help is appreciated,

Tamsen.

Hello! I will try and post some more of them when I find them online. They are much better then any of the plastic/foam ones! IMHO even better then the current sportsmen etc...
They are double walled redwood so they keep heat and humidity like a champ. They take a little getting used to (learning curve) but once you set it all you have to do is turn eggs and maintain water.....
With auto turners and a auto water feeder (dunno how those work since I don't have them but other do i hear) It is a set it and almost forget it!

I'm looking at a Farm Master Incubator 1200.  Could anyone give me some history on this incubator?  Was it also made by Leahy incubators, as I understand they marketed their incubators to Sears.  If it needs rewired or parts will I have to rig that up myself or our there still some parts you can buy that interchange? Thank you for your help.

I do not have any documentation other then the manual which was sent to me by dbcooper :)
I'm hoping someone will post good info from manuals/books from then but so far not much luck.

Here is our new winter project. This is a Farm Master 1200. I'm just so excited about it. If I put as much money in it as a new one I still think it will be a head. It's suppose to sit 600 eggs, but I do peafowl so probably hold between 200 and 300.
If I understand this has pullers that assist in the turning of the eggs, but agree with Rain Wolf that hand turning is a bit more natural.
Thank you Rain Wolf for your help. I'm sure I will have loads of questions down the line. I got this beauty for $200 and a 177 mile drive. I have only used Styrofoam incubators in the past which are more than to be desired and probably spent as much money on them and lost most of eggs. I can only go up from here.

Here's a small kerosene heated Buckeye on the Seattle craigslist. Doesn't look complete, but what's there looks really good.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/3058092399.html
I have found one of those kerosene ones also. Would they be hard to restore. This has the kerosene burner on it but it is pretty beat up. Has anyone used them are they hard to regulate?? Last year the electricity went off on a two day set and I lost the eggs. I am hoping that the Farm Master will hold the heat longer than Styrofoam ones in power failures.

The picture didn't make it, try again.  Farm Master 1200.

You have the original hygrometer! awesome find!
Please keep us updated as you restore. :)

Does it have a original water tray?

the 2 hardest things to find original is the water tray and the hygrometer.....

Last edited:
You have the original hygrometer! awesome find!
Please keep us updated as you restore.
smile.png

Does it have a original water tray?
the 2 hardest things to find original is the water tray and the hygrometer.....
Ok. I'm a dummy but I would think this is the water tray. It's divided into 3 sections I suspect for more or less water. I need to sand and paint. Also took a picture of the inside. I pulled the tab the rolls the eggs out on one tray they seem to work really well. Hubby blew it out with the air pig. He plugged it in a few minutes ago. The fan is running and just in a few minutes it has warmed up 10 degrees.
I am planning on sanding and varnishing the out side. I thought about doing this on the inside. Then I thought better ask some experts as the fumes might linger and not be good for hatching. Can you also tell me what is a wafer? I noted when trying to find information some incubators need wafers. Does this one where would it be or go if I needed? Thank you.

Ok I wanted to show you the inside. Also noted I thought there was 5 trays but there are 6 trays. It doen't seem to have a hatching tray, but there was a wire over the separated tray (water?). Would that be put on the top of the water tray and put the eggs on top of that for the 3 day lock down with more humidity?? I need to really read your manual through.
I just feel like a 5 year old on Christmas morning because the components look so clean inside. The element looks perfect. Everything seems to be working. DH unplugged it, it's kind of cold out today and winds. I'm working on my sewing room to make room for it. Then I will keep it plugged in and see if it holds the temperature. The fan only made the noise of moving air. The gentleman I got it from said it worked perfect 10+ years ago. Usually when I purchase something it always runs perfect for them and I get it home and am

not so lucky.

Now I'm going to :drool

The wafer is a thermostat
It is the gold/brassy colored round disk that you have 2 of in the last photo.
The fact that you have 2 disk means you have a fail safe system!
1 disk will regulate the temps and the second is the emergency shutdown and alarm :celebrate
Eggs can survive being cool but not being cooked. so this is a fantastic thing!
http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=147
you can get new wafers here as they do wear out but test yours first as the older ones were made better imho

The 3 tray pan is indeed the water/humidity tray!
Take good care of that as they cost $2-300 to have a new one made to replace. I still am hunting for that.
If you paint it use a enamel paint and let it cure and off gas for at least 2 months before using.
If you want to coat it maybe see if anyone is doing true enamel? I know there are places that do tub/sink repairs and there has to be someone with a kiln and can give a real enamel coating...... That would not off gas I think (but not 100% sure) and make for easy cleaning and etc....plus you could get color fancy! ;)

The hygrometer is inside the door of your incubator and you might need to get a new "sock" but from what I can see it is looking awesome!

unless the inside is nasty rotten eggs like my first one was, or has some other issue I can not see or think of, I see no reason to paint the inside. just wash and keep clean. egg residue on the bottom metal covering will create that sulfur smell and rust/rot the metal bottom pan that is built in and almost impossible to replace correctly. (it is painted silver too so most do not even notice it is metal plate on the bottom)

The chicks can hatch right in the tray the eggs are in. They do not need to be up by the water tray... in fact the moving air there would be bad for them.
Maybe it was added for some reason?

The green thing by the red bulb I think is the fuse? and the red bulb is the interior light.. I get the red bulbs from most any hardware store.

I sanded the outside of mine and just used tongue oil type oil for the outside. It now sits as the "end table" to the living room couch.
I have a 4 tray and a 5 tray incubator now.... each tray holds approx 75-100 eggs depending on the size of eggs and the bator as I think they tend to be each a little different..

Your is in amazing shape! just a little elbow grease, checking wires, fan and wafer and your ready to roll!

Back
Top Bottom