Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
I am a owner of a Sears Farm Master Incubator.

I wanted to start this thread to help people find them for sale, sell them, learn about them, restore them and any other questions people might have about the older wooden incubators made.

I have seen many online for sale and wanted to a place for those looking for them to be able to find them as well as a place for those selling them to post.

These Incubators were made with solid redwood (also known as sequoia or the giant redwoods)
Double walled and hold humidity and heat like nothing else can.
The most common for sale that I can tell are the:
Leahy
Brower
Farm Master
Montgomery
Favotire
Humidaire
and many many more.

Here is a example of one that is currently for sale.

Here is the listing.... if your interested....
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/grd/2903764547.html

So If you have access to a manual for a older redwood incubator, scan the manual and post please!
If you see one for sale but already have one or it is not local for you to buy post it please!
If your selling one please post!
If your restoring one I would love to see the process and photos!

Come on in, sit down awhile and chat around the table about the great redwood incubators!

Said page not found. I'm interested in buying? Still have it?

OK, I have decided after 4 months and the move is over, that i want to restore this thing. I was disappointed to find though that when i went to turn it on last the light did not turn on, and I don't believe it was heating up. I didn't leave it on for too long though. I am wondering, is the pilot light not working because the wafers aren't heating? Do I need maybe new wafers, or a new light and wafers? Am I asking stupid questions? LOL The fan is still working and i think only one wafer was working when it was given to me. I am on this page http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page538.htm trying to figure out what to order. Also, if I wanted to make drawers for it, anyone know of a good way to do this? I'm sure my husband would have ideas, but he isn't home right this second to talk to about it.
Lastly, when I work on the exterior once I figure out if I can get it back into working order, for the finish, should i sand and then what should i put on it? I was thinking a finishing wax, but I have NO IDEA? LOL HELP I need ideas!

OK, I have decided after 4 months and the move is over, that i want to restore this thing. I was disappointed to find though that when i went to turn it on last the light did not turn on, and I don't believe it was heating up. I didn't leave it on for too long though. I am wondering, is the pilot light not working because the wafers aren't heating? Do I need maybe new wafers, or a new light and wafers? Am I asking stupid questions? LOL The fan is still working and i think only one wafer was working when it was given to me. I am on this page http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page538.htm trying to figure out what to order. Also, if I wanted to make drawers for it, anyone know of a good way to do this? I'm sure my husband would have ideas, but he isn't home right this second to talk to about it.
Lastly, when I work on the exterior once I figure out if I can get it back into working order, for the finish, should i sand and then what should i put on it? I was thinking a finishing wax, but I have NO IDEA? LOL HELP I need ideas!
you talking about the little light bulb on the front? Take it out and check the filament; probably has been broken/burnt out. Replace that and let it run 24 hours and see if it's warming up. If so that's the problem. I have one that originally had two wafer thermostats in it but the last owner bypassed them and wired in a digital like they put in the sportsmans. Works like a champ, love my bator!

Hello all,
Very excited to have just picked one of these beauries up! I'm not at all electrically inclined though and am pretty paranoid about the wiring. Its a sears and says model 171-600. Can anyone tell from these photos if the wiring is okay? I did plug it in briefly and the fan ran but didn't leave it plugged in long enough to see if it was heating. It has the original pan ( in rough shape ) and hygromete thing. Excited to be able to hatch in my tack room away from my toddlers, but nervous about catching my barn on fire or electrocuting my self. Baskets are sticking, so it needs dome cleaning and tlc. Any help is welcome!

Hello all,
Very excited to have just picked one of these beauries up! I'm not at all electrically inclined though and am pretty paranoid about the wiring. Its a sears and says model 171-600. Can anyone tell from these photos if the wiring is okay? I did plug it in briefly and the fan ran but didn't leave it plugged in long enough to see if it was heating. It has the original pan ( in rough shape ) and hygromete thing. Excited to be able to hatch in my tack room away from my toddlers, but nervous about catching my barn on fire or electrocuting my self. Baskets are sticking, so it needs dome cleaning and tlc. Any help is welcome!

It looks OK from what I can see in the pics. Mostly you want to look for wires that have cracks or missing insulation, where there is bare metal exposed. I would vacuum it out real good then let it run overnight, check the temp and adjust it, letting it run overnight again, check again, ect. until you have it as close to 99.5 as you can get it. I generally have all my air vents about half way open during this process and I incubate like that, opening them all the way as the chicks hatch for more fresh oxygen. I mention that because if you adjust temps with vents closed then open them when you put in the eggs it may affect your temps.

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better! Nothing looks frayed or bare metal that I can see. It does heat so when I get a free day, to hang around the barn, I'll let it run and make sure it holds temp. I ordered new fuses (it has a 10amp which i beleive is supposed to be a 6amp) , new indicator light (bulb was missing), and a new service light bulb (also missing), and used some steelwool on the sides of the drawers to get them to slide easier. Steam cleaned the wire to get some of the old egg yuck off. I've only ever used my trusty hovabators to incubate so am excited to give this a spin!

My brand new, never used Brinsea mini eco doesn't work. Well, the fan works, but it doesn't heat consistently. I faxed my reciept to Brinsea but since I did not buy it directly from them, they aren't going to honor the 2 year warranty. Pretty awesome, right?

Soooooo....does anyone know of someone that does incubator repair?? And how much that might cost?

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better! Nothing looks frayed or bare metal that I can see. It does heat so when I get a free day, to hang around the barn, I'll let it run and make sure it holds temp. I ordered new fuses (it has a 10amp which i beleive is supposed to be a 6amp) , new indicator light (bulb was missing), and a new service light bulb (also missing), and used some steelwool on the sides of the drawers to get them to slide easier. Steam cleaned the wire to get some of the old egg yuck off. I've only ever used my trusty hovabators to incubate so am excited to give this a spin!
If your wood trays (also dresser drawers) are not sliding easily, of course look for anything that they might be catching on. Then rub bar soap on the runners, helps them glide better. In a bator I would look for some without perfumes.

Back
Top Bottom