Reforming an aggressive rooster (project)

"Not at all" is probably too strong of an answer...
certainly wanting food could be a reason but many people have reported their rooster waiting to attack until their back was turned.
Well, i wouldnt say not at all. But its rare that your rooster is following you to attack you. Unless you havent bonded with it whatsoever.

@Shadrac…Lowering of the head and pecking at the ground, often moving towards the opponent is pre fight behaviour. So I have been working with my Reggie for the last 2 years, this is what he does, if I raise my voice he moves away? He’s a polish so often looks up then jumps, should I be worried?
I don't know Mrs J. One really needs to see the sequence of events and often quite important, not what the subject is doing but what the others do when the subject does what it does.
I haven't had a rooster challenge me for many years now. In fact I'm not sure I've ever had a rooster challenge me. I just get outright attacks when things have gone wrong. I'm always dress in suitable clothing and I'm always watching my effect on the group as I go about my business. I was working on the coop this afternoon. I was using a power tool and some roosters don't like the noise; ask DobieLover, she had constant attacks while she built her coop. But, she's fit and having gone out of her way to learn something about the horrid creatures, was prepared to put up with it with the conviction things would improve. They did improve.

So, don't take your eyes off the rooster so to speak. You should see when he's having a hissy fit before he attacks with observation.
For most, who are going to persevere with a rooster the bottom lines are; you do it alone, you make sure you are properly clothed (overalls over heavy trousers works well) and you don't lose your temper, or get fearfull.

Just popping in to share my experience with Yondu the Jerk. He was a sweet chick in the brooder and was always happy to be held and petted. Once the flock moved to the coop, he started hanging back and letting the girls have the treats I brought, and somewhere during that time, our bond was broken. He started charging me when he was around six months old and found his hormones. I gave him the boot a few times, then started carrying a broom, neither of which was helpful. We started going out after dark and picking him up from roosting to love on him. Then I hurt my back and couldn't very well manage that. I stopped responding to his attacks (always wearing heavy jeans), but one day decided to take an auto-open umbrella with me. He started his little dance and raised his hackles at me, so I popped the umbrella. He ran for cover so fast he was a blur! He didn't bother me the rest of the time I was in the yard. I have only tried that once, but it was quite effective at stopping the attack that day. He's only bumped me once or twice since.

Back
Top Bottom