Refrigerate your eggs?

TaylorC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Fort Collins
I'm not sure where to post this question: how long can fresh eggs be left unrefrigerated? I guess it depends on the season, but let's assume about 65° weather.
(Reason I'm asking, thinking of getting a pretty egg holder for the kitchen table.)
big_smile.png

This is what I heard, and it makes sense: A hen lays an egg a day, and she lays a full clutch before setting on them, so the first egg laid sits there for 12+ days until the entire clutch of eggs is laid. That's when the hen starts to set on the eggs, warming them up to develop into chicks. The first egg sat there for 12+ days and was still a viable egg that could produce a chick. So, your eggs could sit on the counter for 2 weeks or more and still be good.

In Europe, they don't refrigerate eggs at all. They're all sold at room temp from the shelf, not the refrigerator. Their farmers are just down the street from the store, though.

And try the water trick. Floating eggs are not good.

Agreed. Floating eggs takes the bloom off though so I only do it with ones that are questionable and that I plan on using immediately after floating.

yep. floaters are off, and an UNWASHED egg should last at least two weeks and maybe up to four weeks. Just check for floaters before you cook.
smile.png

Last edited:
Alrighty then, this whole fresh-egg thing just got cooler.. I guess I didn't get the importance of not washing until you're ready to use. The bloom keeps moisture in and bacteria out. Check.

OR! you could do what I did, When we got our first cute little eggs (sorry) I didn't want to eat them I wanted to remember them for ever. My husband suggested blowing them out. That's an idea for displaying your cute little eggies (again sorry). just poke a small hole into both ends and BLOWWWWWW! hard careful though don't crush the shell. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom