CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I did not know where to post this question, but I assume since this forum is partially regarding poultry shows...and since most sanctioned shows are either APA or ABA I figured I would start here.

I recently became a member of the ABA and the SCNA, and I'm simply wondering what exactly that entails? I've already poured over both of the sites, looking for responsibilities of members...and I'm not finding anything (I may be missing it, admittedly). The SCNA membership gave me access to the forums, which was wonderful...but I can't seem to figure out what "membership" in these associations requires...or if there is something I'm supposed to be doing as a member that I'm not doing, etc. I've been a member of a wide variety of organizations, but never related to chickens until now. The "other" organizations have quite a lot of requirements and responsibilities even for the "peasant" members (which is why I enjoy those associations, it gives me something to do). I'm not seeing a "Member Requirements & Responsibilities" section on either website. I planned on joining the APA next week, but would like to know what membership means apart from paying dues. I don't mind paying dues, but I would like there to be something I can actually *do* as well (versus due) for these associations if I'm going to be a member of them.

I see the benefits for all of them (IE: APA members earn points at APA-sanctioned shows, earn awards, etc).

My question is geared toward what members can do for the organization, not what the organization can do for the members (that info is readily available on their sites).

Unrelated Questions - regarding shows
Are you required to be NPIP certified to be a member of either organization?
Are you required to be NPIP certified to show your birds in an ABA or APA sanctioned show?

What *are* the requirements of being a member of the ABA, APA or SCNA? I'm finding nothing.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Adding info: I have contacted these associations - this thread is mainly to get some input from those who are already members, and what you're doing for the organizations you're a member of, and how you came to find the information outlining what you can do or are doing.

Last edited:
All the APA & ABA require of their members is that they pay their dues. Don't know what the SCNA is so can't help with that.
Participation in APA &/or ABA shows requires participation in the NPIP program.
Their are any number of ways to help support both the APA & ABA. The most needed service is help with running local sanctioned shows. There are never enough people to set up for shows, run raffles tables or other fund raisers & especially with tear down & clean up. You can also help by promoting membership to other exhibitors. There are a lot more people who show than there are members of either organization. WWhat these people fail to realize is that w/o the APA & ABA there would be no Poultry Shows other than County Fairs.

Thank you very much for the reply, it was useful information and things I had not thought of. Helping to set up for local shows, tear down and clean up is definitely something I could do...and I've handled raffle tickets numerous times (for other organizations).

On the NPIP information, it states "flocks with 1-999 birds will have 25% of their flock tested (minimum 30 birds) http://agr.wa.gov/foodanimal/avianhealth/aviannpip.aspx#Join

So, you'd have to have at least 30 birds in order to be NPIP certified? And thus, I couldn't show any birds unless I had NPIP and therefore have 30? Ugh.

Do they have to be of a certain age or do chicks apply?
hide.gif

Last edited:
Different states have different rules regarding NPIP or other testing requirements for exhibition. In general Eastern states require NPIP, while western ones do not. But there are exceptions. Most of states in the middle of the country also require it.

Exactly how testing is done, the numbers and the cost depends on your state. I would expect that with under 30 birds they would test them all.

Correct. If you have less than the minimum it just means the entire flock would be tested. [those over 4 months old that is] You could have only one bird, have it blood tested & show. I wasn't aware that the Western States didn't require testing, but I don't venture that far to show anyway.

Back
Top Bottom