Regarding the End

BeccaDoe

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Aylett, VA
I was just lying here in bed, getting up the energy to get up and let my flock out, and a strange and possibly morbid thought came to mind.

What do you all do when your chicken dies? Do you bury it? Cremate it? Heaven forbid: cook or trash it? I find myself very interested to hear what you guys do. 🤔

When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with dead animals. That's as true with chickens as it is with dogs or goldfish. You are wise to realize that and to come up with a plan. I don't consider that morbid, just being prepared.

I live in the country, a common way to get rid of bodies is to take them somewhere well away from your coop or home and let the wild animals take care of it. I've done that a lot with the raccoon,s skunks, possum, rats, and groundhogs I've killed. That's where most of my fairly grown chickens go if they die. I haven't had any die from what I think was a contagious disease. That's a fairly good hike so smaller chickens are usually buried in my garden in an area I will not be using for a couple of months. Sort of compost in place.

I don't know where you are or what your true options are. Some trash pick-ups have rules against disposing of an animal carcass. To cremate one takes a really hot fire and many people live where fires are not allowed or you might be in a no burn period in a dry windy spell. If you live in suburbia animal control may give you some ideas.

Chickens don't die that often but they do die. it is never pleasant but I think it helps you cope better if you have a plan. Hopefully it will be years before you have to use it.

Back
Top Bottom