Regrouping after predator wipe-out...

It doesn't seem to phase moose or bear all that much
I've read that with bear it's gotta be a HOT charge, tested with a good tester.......and maybe a few pnut butter smeared pieces of tinfoil hung on the fence as a final 'test'....and that it's about the only way to stop a bear.

I've read that with bear it's gotta be a HOT charge, tested with a good tester.......and maybe a few pnut butter smeared pieces of tinfoil hung on the fence as a final 'test'....and that it's about the only way to stop a bear.

yes the voltage needed for a bear or moose would endanger my dogs and the chickens

Got some (slightly) better pics while I was in the run earlier..

Rosa

Noel (since the new girls were an early Christmas present from my mom, lol):

and Sweet Pea (since she matches Olive.. I named Olive after Olive Oyl, lol)

And one of Miss Priss Olive, partly because it's so cute, but also because it made me realize the difference between a girl I raised from a chick and those I bought older.. All the above pics required zooming/cropping to be able to see the gals, they are so paranoid of me lol! Olive just wants to know, where are the TREATS at!!!???

It doesn't seem to phase moose or bear all that much
The only way that an electric fence would harm a hen is if she got stuck or hung up someway. You need not worry about your dogs because one lessen or run in with an electric fence and you couldn't drop you pooch on top of it from a helicopter. He would learn how to fly rather than touch that hot wire again. I know this because I had a dog that for years refused to cross the place in my pasture where I had installed a temporary electric fence while I replaced the old field or "hog wire" fence with a new one. It only took him hitting the hot wire once for the lesson to be learned. Besides, all electric fences operate off of a pulse and that pulse or jolt is enough to knock a brahma bull out of the reach of an electric fence.

If you are dealing with bears etc. Then use some slices of salt cured bacon securely wrapped around the hot wire. Salt is a fine conductor of electricity which is the reason a saline soaked sponge is used on top of the condemned's noggin when he is strapped in the electric chair. Any K9 or bruin who decides to sample the salt cured bacon will be in for a big surprise because saliva is also a fine conductor of electricity. The thick fur on a bear resists conducting electricity but his moist mouth and wet bare nose is vulnerable.

The real purpose of an electric fence is to train any animal to avoid that part of the Earth. However I have seen goats that though it was great sport to run right through an electric fence. A few hours in a homemade sauna was enough to stop this foolishness.
Check out the video of a nosy fox taking one on the nose to see what I mean.

0.jpg

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am so happy for your CarCar! The new girls are lovely and Olive looks quite content! I am sure it won't be long before the new girls are wondering where the treats are too.

I am so concerned about Winter predators, where I live. We have fox, raccoon, possum, coyotes, skunks, hawks, and not to mention your average loose dog. It's been so far so good but this is the first winter with my flock. I have large natural stones around most of the coop fencing. The stones are on the inside of the pen, which prevents the birds from digging around the fence-line (and the added bonus of great habitat for yummy insects).

What ABOVE ground deterrents do you use to deflect digging predators?

We are also having mouse problems of course
he.gif
. This is worsened by the fact that I am highly allergic to rodent. Which I hate
tongue.gif
because I loved have pet hamsters, guinae pigs and rats (yes I said rats!) as a kid! Mouse "debris sends me into anaphylaxis

Any tips for chicken safe traps? We've seen the large colony traps for sale, has anyone used these with success?

The only way that an electric fence would harm a hen is if she got stuck or hung up someway. You need not worry about your dogs because one lessen or run in with an electric fence and you couldn't drop you pooch on top of it from a helicopter. He would learn how to fly rather than touch that hot wire again. I know this because I had a dog that for years refused to cross the place in my pasture where I had installed a temporary electric fence while I replaced the old field or "hog wire" fence with a new one. It only took him hitting the hot wire once for the lesson to be learned. Besides, all electric fences operate off of a pulse and that pulse or jolt is enough to knock a brahma bull out of the reach of an electric fence.

If you are dealing with bears etc. Then use some slices of salt cured bacon securely wrapped around the hot wire. Salt is a fine conductor of electricity which is the reason a saline soaked sponge is used on top of the condemned's noggin when he is strapped in the electric chair. Any K9 or bruin who decides to sample the salt cured bacon will be in for a big surprise because saliva is also a fine conductor of electricity. The thick fur on a bear resists conducting electricity but his moist mouth and wet bare nose is vulnerable.

The real purpose of an electric fence is to train any animal to avoid that part of the Earth. However I have seen goats that though it was great sport to run right through an electric fence. A few hours in a homemade sauna was enough to stop this foolishness.
Check out the video of a nosy fox taking one on the nose to see what I mean.

0.jpg
I wont do that to my dogs. One is older and has heart issues so its not worth the risk of loosing her

I love that "in your face" pic of Olive! Your other chooks look nice!!

What ABOVE ground deterrents do you use to deflect digging predators?
What I plan on doing is digging about a foot down along the fence line and putting down 12x12 patio blocks, on their end. Then, I am putting a 2 foot apron of heavy wire all along the parameter of the fence. Anchor it down and throw some dirt on top to help hold it down. I'm also thinking about putting up an electric wire along the bottom if needed.

Back
Top Bottom