Regrouping after predator wipe-out...

You know, I've honestly considered putting up a "ghost ad" just to see if I get any calls.. Is that bad? lol. Or something to that effect..

Question: when you do sell eggs, how long do you keep them? I mean, as far as customers are concerned.. I know how we do with our own but I'm sure with customers I'd be a little different.
I would slowly build up! We live in a small farming and ranching community but everyone raises cattle and hogs, VERY few chickens here! My Husband is the only Service Tech in the area so he knows everyone!
I was only planning a flock of 10. I now have 27 (3 roos) and I just ordered 13 more hens, 8 of which are production to keep up with demand!

I gather at least twice a day so that the eggs are clean. I only wash if I have to, and because in America we are told eggs should be refrigerated (although I know there is no need) I put all gathered eggs in the fridge. I have never kept them over 3 weeks (even at 3 weeks they are much more fresh than store bought!), but know that they will last much longer. I have system so that I know which eggs are the oldest and sell those first (lately they barely sit a week).
My customers come here for pick up (although I have a couple of older customers I deliver to) and so far so good! At $2.50 a dozen the only complaints I have is that they are too cheap LOL! We have considered a price increase but I hate to, it's about a healthy alternative to me rather than profit!

Up here in AK the fresh eggs are in such demand that we sell them $6 a dozen as do all my friends. We have a small flock of 11 hens but last summer we had 9 (or 8 depending on our wanderer) and we got 8 eggs a day. We've always had more demand than supply.

Thanks guys! All good things to think about. And- just for the record- the ghost ad in my head wasn't just me answering and saying, "HAHA JUST KIDDING!!" :rofl: I just was wishing I could come up with a way to see how much interest is there.. ;)

Last edited:
Start by asking your neighbors. My neighbors actually approached us wanting to buy a dozen- we walk them over to their house on Saturdays and sell for $3/dozen (the local grocery stores charge $4-5/dozen for local organic eggs).

Thanks guys! All good things to think about. And- just for the record- the ghost ad in my head wasn't just me answering and saying, "HAHA JUST KIDDING!!" :rofl: I just was wishing I could come up with a way to see how much interest is there..
wink.png

Just start with friends and neighbors first, they are probably your best estimation for local customer base! If you really want to start selling just build you flock to meet demand gradually, and not get yourself in too deep!
thumbsup.gif

Up here in AK the fresh eggs are in such demand that we sell them $6 a dozen as do all my friends. We have a small flock of 11 hens but last summer we had 9 (or 8 depending on our wanderer) and we got 8 eggs a day. We've always had more demand than supply.
Wow! Sounds like you found a profitable business! You are brave to deal with that kind of cold though, it is supposed to be in the single digits here for the next week
hide.gif
I am not built for the cold!

I'm planning on getting around 10 or 12 hens to start with, but DH wants me to get more for more eggs! I don't want to max out in the beginning, I want room to had more later.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting around 10 or 12 hens to start with, but DH wants me to get more for more eggs! I don't want to max out in the beginning, I want room to had more later.
That sounds like a good plan. I have a HUGE coop and a good sized run plus they free range when I'm home, so I could easily have 50+ birds. Right now I have 24 and adding 13 this spring plus whatever I hatch. This gives me room to rotate my flock, I have decided to give my production hens 2 years laying (I already have a couple that may get an extended free ride LOL). This way I can add new birds every year and remove the older hens and still keep minimum numbers.

I THINK I've decided... To get a RIR roo and two hens.. Then what about two barred rock hens. That way it'd bring me up to 8 hens/1 roo total, and I could hatch RIR and Black Star when I want to try to sell a few or when I need new birds myself. When I need new BR hens I'll just have to buy them.. Don't want to deal with having two Roos again since I can't free range all the time anymore.

Thoughts? I think it would keep me in a respectable number of eggs, with ability to hatch when I want/need, and it won't be so many birds that I really have to expand all THAT much?

Well, you don't need to mate breed to breed, just let what ever rooster make you good mutts from what ever hen.
Would work fine to replace your own laying hens....course you'll have to cull roosters, might be just fine for selling straight run chicks too.
When you think about hatching multiple types of 'pure' breed chicks, you up the operation to a whole new level.

Back
Top Bottom