Reintegration by supervised visits ?

@Mutt Farm - why not section off an area with temporary fencing to give them room to stretch their wings and keep others away til they get their bearings on the place?

Blooie and aart - I know those were original - at least to me :)

Could you post pic of your set up with the pen you are using?

I used "make shift" removable shelter on Penny's cage so she would have protection from the elements. And a spot to sleep where she felt safe. Took it off in the morning, left the prevalent wind/rain side up most of the time.

IMO keep them separated but let them out of confinement with close supervision and place yourself between any potential aggressor until you are not seeing aggression. Once that defuses, then try letting them out with the friendliest of you flock. Letting the others free range takes them out of the picture for this.

The blaster is effective when there is only one aggressor present, but if there are multiples, then the marbles should be ready.
Good luck, patience is the main ingredient in this recipe.
I'll get a better pic later today. I tried to copy what you did with what I had available. I attached an 8X4X4 chain link exercise area to the log cabin which I moved up against the barn wall. They now have have a roost and 2 nest boxes in it.
I can lock the 15 out to roam and the 2 new explore the coop and run for a couple hours each day.
Good call on the marbles. I'll get them ready.

I'd leave them separated for at least a week...maybe longer...in their own area.
How big is it, easy for you to access to feed etc?

Yes, let them check out coop and run when other birds are ranging...I assume other birds will be locked out of coop and run?

Set up hiding places in coop and run, extra feed/water, etc.
Then let them range together.

If you see excessive harassment, try the adding one nice existing bird to confinement area...then another, or a different one.
The mix and match, shake em up method.

BTW... 'look and don't touch' is not mine per say.
I'll leave them separated for a week. "coop" is 4X3, run is 8X4. Not easy to feed and clean, but not impossible.
Hiding place: Would the log cabin work for that in the run when it's time to put them together? Any thoughts on what they could hide in inside? Do you mean like a box or something?
I think I have a plan then:
Keep them separated for a week or so, during the week, let them explore the housing while the flock is away.
Make some hiding places and I'll add a 3rd feed and water
Maybe after the week put my bolder girls out and let them meet the more docile ones. Start introducing my most docile hens, then shake it up
Be ready with a squirt bottle and a shaker can.
Does that sound right?
BTW: LBDT OK. Not "yours" but I learned about it from you.
Here is the run

Here's the coop it has different roosts now

Log cabin should help....but maybe prop a couple pieces of plywood or pallets around up against the walls.
Can put up a couple 2x4's for extra roosts across corners.
Stumps, logs, concrete blocks, old table or chair...just 'stuff' to break up the open spaces and give places to jump on top of or underneath.

When I reintroduced my broody after she had been on a nest for a month they all still pecked and attacked her and chased her from the food even while I was there. I ended up separating her with a little barrier of a day and putting in the coop in a dog crate of a night for about a week so she could eat and regain some strength. Only one really bothered her that next week, again didn't care I was there, so for another week I just seperated her with some food each afternoon for a little while. It settled down after that.

My chickens have never particularly cared if I was supervising or not when it came to pecking order disputes.

Oops just read your last updated plan. Yes sounds good. Good luck!

Last edited:
Log cabin should help....but maybe prop a couple pieces of plywood or pallets around up against the walls.
Can put up a couple 2x4's for extra roosts across corners.
Stumps, logs, concrete blocks, old table or chair...just 'stuff' to break up the open spaces and give places to jump on top of or underneath.
Oh! Now I picture what you meant! I have pallets and scrap plywood and cinder blocks.
I do think I'll need more roosts too in a different area.

I'll get a better pic later today. I tried to copy what you did with what I had available. I attached an 8X4X4 chain link exercise area to the log cabin which I moved up against the barn wall. They now have have a roost and 2 nest boxes in it.
I can lock the 15 out to roam and the 2 new explore the coop and run for a couple hours each day.
Good call on the marbles. I'll get them ready.

I'll leave them separated for a week. "coop" is 4X3, run is 8X4. Not easy to feed and clean, but not impossible.
Hiding place: Would the log cabin work for that in the run when it's time to put them together? Any thoughts on what they could hide in inside? Do you mean like a box or something?
I think I have a plan then:
Keep them separated for a week or so, during the week, let them explore the housing while the flock is away.
Make some hiding places and I'll add a 3rd feed and water
Maybe after the week put my bolder girls out and let them meet the more docile ones. Start introducing my most docile hens, then shake it up
Be ready with a squirt bottle and a shaker can.
Does that sound right?
BTW: LBDT OK. Not "yours" but I learned about it from you.
Here is the run

Here's the coop it has different roosts now
IMO you have lot of room to work with, the coop and run look a lot larger than your posted measurements.

@aarts suggestion of an old table or chair is perfect. After Penny reintegrated I was still worried about everything, but removed her cage (former obstacle) I placed an old chair in the center of my run - others had to go around or over to mess with her and it really gave her a lot of security and room to escape. And the extra water and fount are absolute necessities.

I would give things a week at a time to try visitations, if serious aggression - break it up, wait another week and retry. Eventually it will work.

*** I love the log cabin - do ya want to trade for the Formex Coop after this is over
big_smile.png

And no favorite treats when they are visiting.

Last edited:
Is there a corner with two wooden walls?
Pretty easy to screw a 2x4 up in a corner if you're at all handy.

IMO you have lot of room to work with, the coop and run look a lot larger than your posted measurements.

@aarts suggestion of an old table or chair is perfect. After Penny reintegrated I was still worried about everything, but removed her cage (former obstacle) I placed an old chair in the center of my run - others had to go around or over to mess with her and it really gave her a lot of security and room to escape. And the extra water and fount are absolute necessities.

I would give things a week at a time to try visitations, if serious aggression - break it up, wait another week and retry. Eventually it will work.

*** I love the log cabin - do ya want to trade for the Formex Coop after this is over
big_smile.png

And no favorite treats when they are visiting.
I have a plastic chair I can put on it's side. What I'm noticing today is that the RIR's aren't the slightest bit intimidated or humble. They're right at the chain link all strutting and proud. Pops said they got rid of these 2 first because they were too friendly. Hmmm...they were pecking the GF's legs and wouldn't stop, but said they were always fine with the other hens.
I'm curious to see if they are going to be the problem.
LOL the log cabin! I bought on CL for $50. as a coop. I planned on 3 BO's Chicken Math!
gig.gif
Then pops brought the 3 EE's, then I looked at the catalogs. The rest is history!
Here's the pen I set up. I have 3X4 chain link panels I use for puppy and whelping pens, so they worked nicely.

Back
Top Bottom