Reminder..New FDA Regs 1/1/17

MelissaNY

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2016
Just a reminder for livestock owners...
New "feed through medication" controls are going into effect soon. Feed through meds are typically defined as antibiotics that are fed (in medicated feeds) OR mixed in water. The only ones not being regulated will be a very short list. Any that are considered to be imperative to human health will no longer be available without a "feed directive prescription".. While corid is not supposed to be affected, albon, sulmet etc , as well as the tetracyclines (duramycin etc)will no longer be over the counter. This is federal, not by state.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie. What do suggest I buy to have on hand. I actually need something for my flock now. About 3-4 of my 9 are coughing and wheezing. I just finished a 3 day worming with safeguard for goats. Any advice is much appreciated!!

It would be best to find out what's actually wrong with your birds first. Did a fecal at the vet's show intestinal parasites? Have you had them tested for mycoplasma? Had a necropsy done on your sickest bird? Treating randomly for ??? isn't helpful, so get a diagnosis first. Mary

Hi Mary,

Appreciate your concerns..... however 1) I mainly was concerned about which meds I needed on hand before our buddies at FDA made it impossible to get OTC 2) being in the animal (exotic and native wildlife) field I wanted to get my flock on a worming schedule 3) none have died so a necropsy isnt an option. Asking advice is not treating for random illnesses or diseases.... it simply advice of what others have tried for the same symptoms. Almost like medicating a child.... [shes sneezing, eyes watering, throat is tickling... hmmm its spring perhaps it allergies. Hey friend what does it sound like to you]. If it worsens my vet will be contacted. Sorry you assumed I treat willy nilly :lol:. Again thanks for your advice. I have spoken to a collegue who raises game and she and Doc confirmed the respiratory illness....:ya

Back
Top Bottom