Repetitive Broody Hen

TLethenstrom

Hatching
Feb 16, 2023
I have a 4 yr old Black Australorp hen that goes broody every 4-5 weeks from Feb - Oct / Nov. She's easy to break, generally 2 days in a cage. She's never hatched chicks & we haven't had a rooster for a couple of years. If I were to obtain a couple of fertilized eggs and allow her to hatch them, would it break the broody cycle, or likely to continue? Thanks in advance for input.

I don't have much experience with broodies, so can't comment on if it'll break the broody cycle, what I can say though is that in the time it takes to hatch the eggs and raise the chicks, she obviously won't become broody again, so you won't have to worry about her hogging the nest boxes for at least two months

I've had a few hens (various bantam breeds) that would lay some eggs, go broody, raise the chicks, lay eggs, go broody... they repeated the cycle over and over during the spring/summer/fall months.

Based on my experience, and on what you've said of your hen, I suspect that she will go broody again after she has finished raising the chicks and laid a few more eggs.

Last edited:
I've had a few hens (various bantam breeds) that would lay about some eggs, go broody, raise the chicks, lay eggs, go broody... they repeated the cycle over and over during the spring/summer/fall months.

Based on my experience, and on what you've said of your hen, I suspect that she will go broody again after she has finished raising the chicks and laid a few more eggs.
That's what I was figuring will happen, was just curious if hatching chicks could possibly satisfy that innate nature. Who knows, maybe I'll try it 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's what I was figuring will happen, was just curious if hatching chicks could possibly satisfy that innate nature. Who knows, maybe I'll try it 🤷🏻‍♀️
I had BO that pretty much stayed broody, messing up the rest of the hens. The only thing that finally worked was holding her in a water-filled tub, until the next time. No rooster except a few lots over. Pain in the butt (pardon the pun)!!!!

I had BO that pretty much stayed broody, messing up the rest of the hens. The only thing that finally worked was holding her in a water-filled tub, until the next time. No rooster except a few lots over. Pain in the butt (pardon the pun)!!!!
We tried water early on when it was difficult to break her but we seem to have developed a ritual that works, it's just a pain to deal with! I love my Australorps though 😊

I also have 2 black austerlorps = one is on her second broody binge in 2 months. It's so hard to break her. I had put her in broody jail (large dog cage) with food/treats. She ate without issue, but as soon as she went out at night, back in then nesting box.
Finally seemed to break her but now one of the other chickens is bullying her and she has her feathers up to fight back. The other chick turned nasty for some reason and wont' leave her alone. She always been odd, but now friendlier to me since I'm trying to protect her. All very weird!

I also have 2 black austerlorps = one is on her second broody binge in 2 months. It's so hard to break her. I had put her in broody jail (large dog cage) with food/treats. She ate without issue, but as soon as she went out at night, back in then nesting box.
Finally seemed to break her but now one of the other chickens is bullying her and she has her feathers up to fight back. The other chick turned nasty for some reason and wont' leave her alone. She always been odd, but now friendlier to me since I'm trying to protect her. All very weird!
Sounds exactly like the situation I'm in with a Wyandotte only I didn't do the cage thing.

Back
Top Bottom