Replacing carpets in house - seeking your experiences

just to let you know linolium is gone and finished its not used anymore

they use vinyal flooring now

cork is good but dont get it wet

it wont corrode from water but it will live longer dry

i have Pure OAK flooring in my house nad its awsome 18mm boards so i can sand it doen every 10 years and use it for a long time to come

The carpeting in our house was scary when we moved in. Previous owner was a smoker and it is a cool damp climate. Dust masks were a necessity when ripping it out. The bathroom floor? Even more scary. You know it is going to be bad when mushrooms are sprout between the floor and the shower. We went with Marmoleum, a new but old fashion linoleum product, in there. It has held up well. The other portion of the house has no skid ceramic tile. Great choice in a multi-species household where it rains 8-9 months of the year. Did I mention the black clay mud? Using a darker grout helps a lot. I mop it with distilled vinegar.

Last edited:
If you really want to use cork, make sure that the base is flat and not flexible. Cork tiles that I used in the UK went down easily but also lifted before long. You must seal between the tiles and allow for expansion at certain distances. They don't work well in a moist or wet place from my experience.

Actually, Linoleum is still in use and is different from vinyl. It is made of linseed oil and various wood and cork flours. It is having a resurgence because of the concern for the environment - it is all biodegradable and is not made from petroleum like vinyl. Marmoleum is a brand name I've looked at. The problem is just that the words linoleulm and vinyl got confused and a lot of flooring stores don't know the difference.

The carpeting in our house was scary when we moved in. Previous owner was a smoker and it is a cool damp climate. Dust masks were a necessity when ripping it out. The bathroom floor? Even more scary. You know it is going to be bad when mushrooms are sprout between the floor and the shower. We went with Marmoleum, a new but old fashion linoleum product, in there. It has held up well. The other portion of the house has no skid ceramic tile. Great choice in a multi-species household where it rains 8-9 months of the year. Did I mention the black clay mud? Using a darker grout helps a lot. I mop it with distilled vinegar.
I am so glad to hear the Marmoleum is holding up well. I am definitely considering it!
thanks!

Anybody tried floating click cork flooring?
Yes! We installed cork flooring click planks in our living room when we built our house 2 years ago. The floor has held up very well, no stains, easy to clean and warm to the touch on your feet. I love it and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

We also have the marmoleum click flooring in the hallways, bathrooms and kitchen. This also I love. I vacuum, and then swiffer and that's all there is to it. No stains, no hard to clean areas dirt just wipes off.

Both products are sustainably produced. The cork is from sustainable sources and the marmoleum is basically sawdust and linseedoil. Natural and both feel very nice underfoot.

I hope this helps.

Yes!  We installed cork flooring click planks in our living room when we built our house 2 years ago.  The floor has held up very well, no stains, easy to clean and warm to the touch on your feet.  I love it and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

We also have the marmoleum click flooring in the hallways, bathrooms and kitchen.  This also I love.  I vacuum, and then swiffer and that's all there is to it.  No stains, no hard to clean areas dirt just wipes off.

Both products are sustainably produced. The cork is from sustainable sources and the marmoleum is basically sawdust and linseedoil.  Natural and both feel very nice underfoot.

I hope this helps.

YES that is a big help . Thank you.Can you share the brand name you used?

Back
Top Bottom