Reply about 6" Pvc Pipe feeders PICS inside come look.

GallowayFarms

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Ok here is an over view shot of my feeder I made. I used 5 or 6 inch pvc sch 40 and the lid to a 5 gallon bucket. With some 9 week old cornishxrock for scale.
0612080704.jpg

Using "L" brackets I got a Lowes ( you can get them at most hardware stores), I screwed them to the pipe first using 1/4" or 3/8" self tapping sheet metal screws. About any screw would work. I wouldn't use drywall screws though. I lined the bottom of the pipe up with the first hole on the "L" bracket. That gave me about a 3/8" gap at the bottom I believe.
0612080704b.jpg

To finish the feeder off you will want a top or a way to keep the chickens from jumping in them. I lost a couple smaller chickens from where they jumped in early in the morning and I was at work all day and by the time I got home they had died.

I drilled holes in mine and ran wire back and forth between the holes. I keep my feeders under a roof so I don't worry about rain getting in them. The wire works great bc I don't have to keep up with the lids or worry about the chickens knocking a lid off.

0612080704a.jpg

I hope anyone else like me that is cheep and like to recycle things.

Good Luck

Nick

Quote:
hi nic ,
i like your idea on your feeder.i have made the same feeder also.instead of putting wire in mine to keep the birds out i set a 3 gallon bucket over the 6"pipe.has worked very well for me and gives the birds an extra roost.
just thought i would pass on the idea to you.
bblackburne

Thanks. Most of the time I ask construction guys I know to save their 5 gallon buckets for me. Where did you find "Free" 3 gallon buckets
smile.png

p.s. I use the 5 gallon buckets to carry water and feed in, and have lots of extra lids. hahaha.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom