Rescued Duck. Bad, bad Leroy Brown.

Hmm. I was thinking the others were big breeds and that's why he was smaller than them. The WH usually are a big breed, but runners usually stay small. I don't know why he's so small.

WH aren't considered a large breed. The are a lightweight breed and classed as medium.

They're bigger than mallards, runners, and other bantam breeds. They get pretty big and grow fast. I knew one that was bigger than the Pekins.

Last edited:
Wow, he is tiny to be that old...I'm no expert on call ducks, but he doesn't really look like one in the face because his bill is so long, but that is the only explanation I can come up with for his size.

The only other explanation I have seen is kidney failure. A lady posted pics of her Welsh Harlequins and one was 1/2 the size of her brothers, it was determined she had kidney... or maybe it was liver failure. Search the duck thread and you will find it.

I found a veterinary article about avian renal failure. If it is renal failure, aside from the possible stunted growth, Leroy doesn't show any other signs. That's not to say that it couldn't be RF but if it is it's very early onset. I'll try to separate Leroy, the smallest if the Bunch, and an averaged sized duckling and get a better photo comparisson.

I may be grasping at straws here but I have seen pictures of black bibbed silkies that look just like Leroy. It could account for the small size. I know silkies are pretty rare but I really don't want to think something is physically wrong with the little dude.

I may be grasping at straws here but I have seen pictures of black bibbed silkies that look just like Leroy. It could account for the small size. I know silkies are pretty rare but I really don't want to think something is physically wrong with the little dude.
Is he acting like something is wrong with him?

Maybe the hiccup in its life could have caused it to be stunted? Maybe not enough nutrients or something. Its really adorable. I'm glad it has some buddies. :)

Back
Top Bottom