Rescued Hen. I think a bantam. Breed?

First of all, well done you for rescuing this little lady.
clap.gif

Secondly, I would wait until she gets more feathers. She does look small so maybe she is a bantam breed. Frizzle for sure. She will be v pretty! Could be a cross or something. My hens which have silkie in them, lay white small eggs, maybe she has that somewhere in her genetics.

Last edited:
She shouldn't be laying through this large of a molt. I can't imagine why she'd be laying white eggs either. Are you sure they belong to her?

She looks to be a mixed breed. With frizzles, they seem to be a breed all their own (even if they are a frizzled cochin or a frizzled rock) Most people just call them a frizzle.

She shouldn't be laying through this large of a molt. I can't imagine why she'd be laying white eggs either. Are you sure they belong to her?
She looks to be a mixed breed. With frizzles, they seem to be a breed all their own (even if they are a frizzled cochin or a frizzled rock) Most people just call them a frizzle.
I dont think shes molting. She was in a pen with about 20 other chickens and i think she was picked on. it was over crowded. I know the egg was hers because i had her by herself in a cage to make sure she was safe to put with my birds and she layed a white egg.

Her tail and part of her wing look kind of like she's been picked on by other chickens to me. Think it's possible she was coming out of a molt and was hen pecked?

She shouldn't be laying through this large of a molt. I can't imagine why she'd be laying white eggs either. Are you sure they belong to her? She looks to be a mixed breed. With frizzles, they seem to be a breed all their own (even if they are a frizzled cochin or a frizzled rock) Most people just call them a frizzle.
Her tail and part of her wing look kind of like she's been picked on by other chickens to me. Think it's possible she was coming out of a molt and was hen pecked?
Frizzles have weird wing feathers like that almost 24/7 She is definitely molting. No doubt about it. She could have been picked on as well, but is molting. Sometimes they will lay through a molt. I have seen it with one of my hens, but she was never molting this bad.
_MG_1057.jpg
Here's my sizzle George. I've had him since April, and he always has weird wing feathers that are pointy and like quills :p

Frizzles have weird wing feathers like that almost 24/7
She is definitely molting. No doubt about it. She could have been picked on as well, but is molting.
Sometimes they will lay through a molt. I have seen it with one of my hens, but she was never molting this bad.
_MG_1057.jpg

Here's my sizzle George. I've had him since April, and he always has weird wing feathers that are pointy and like quills
tongue.png
awww hes cute!

There's one thing I didn't think of.. She could have a double dose of the frizzle gene and be a frazzle. In which case she will be like that even when she's not molting.

ohh i never thought of that. Soo she could stay bald?
I sure hope not, but it's possible.

These chickens usually need a warm place in the winter, as they can't regulate body temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom