Rescuing abandoned chickens.

Today was day four and we’re doing pretty much what you suggested. We put a plank bridge across the creek so all four chickens are on the same side of the creek now. They hide in the brush until I start calling them and then they come running. We built a temporary pen and put it out there with some food. One of them was in the pen when we went out there today. Two of them are already eating out of our hands. View attachment 2336988

They're beautiful! I'd say sooner than later, for their safety. Looks like they already trust you. 💕 🤞 Following along and hoping for the best!

When I trapped a stray, one bird(not tame at all) here in my yard, it took about a week or so...but there were some misses and mishaps....and a whole different set up.
Had crate setup in a shed I can see from window, wire rigged to close door went into another shed 30' away. Every night she would go into crate to fill her crop, before roosting in a brush filled area like you described, and I'd sneak down to pull wire. First time wire broke cause I pulled it too hard, took another few days to get another chance which was successful.
That's very interesting. Thanks for the example. I'm hoping we can get the second coop and run built by this weekend so we can actually have a place to put them when we catch them. Dahlia (white one) and Marigold (buff orpington - we named them, lol) are already eating out of our hands. Each of them has an Australorp (Petunia and Rose) as a buddy. I would like to at least keep the buddy system intact. Adding the human element to their already precarious survival mechanism is uncertain enough without breaking up their buddy system.

About a week or two, they may not last that long, be warned. However they seem to be avoiding danger well so far.

That's my quandary - there are a lot of coyotes in our area and it's elk hunting season so there are a lot of hunters in the woods right now. They've been surviving so far by staying hidden and being cautious. My worry is that our befriending them will make them bolder and thus more accessible to predators. But, if I start throwing boxes and nets on them and chasing them around. The fearful ones - the Australorps - who will still not come right up to us, may disappear into the brush and we'll never get close to them. It's keeping me awake at night!

Just a random question, do you know where they are laying?
I haven't seen any sign of eggs. There is so much tall grass along the creek and so much scrub brush it would be pretty lucky to find anything. I am not good at guessing chicken age but comparing to my girls, I would bet they're around the same age (3) or maybe even slightly older for one of them.

I haven't seen any sign of eggs. There is so much tall grass along the creek and so much scrub brush it would be pretty lucky to find anything. I am not good at guessing chicken age but comparing to my girls, I would bet they're around the same age (3) or maybe even slightly older for one of them.
If you find an egg from them, crack it open to make sure they don't have worms

Depending on how hot it is there, you could try livetraps. Put some screlatch on the ground where the trap os, and you can pour water into a bowl in there. Put it somewhere shady though so they aren't trapped in the sun. You need to check a few times a day though if you try this. But I've had great luck catching my birds with them

Back
Top Bottom