RESPIRATORY ILLNESS ???

OSOLEE MEADOWS

Hatching
Feb 18, 2018
This hen developed swollen eyelids about a week ago. We have administered Tylan for about 4 days in a row now by mouth. No sign of improvement as of yet. Her left eye is visibly much worse than her right. We separated her from the flock about 5 days ago. Her behavior is normal, eating, drinking. Thoughts?
CHICKEN 1.jpg
CHICKEN 2.jpg
CHICKEN 2.jpg
CHICKEN 1.jpg
CHICKEN 1.jpg
CHICKEN 3.jpg

To rule out eye worms, place your finger at the corner of the eye and put gentle pressure on it. If worms are present, you should see one or two pop out of the socket.

Once you ruled out worms, it's probably a respiratory infection or it could be a sinus infection. If it continues not to respond to the Tylan, I would add a terramycin ophthalmic ointment and perhaps a steroid drop to the treatment.

https://www.kvsupply.com/item/prednisolone-acetate-ophthalmic-suspension/497024/

https://www.kvsupply.com/Search.aspx?query=terramycin ophthalmic ointment

Thank you. We did apply pressure, thinking puss was visible, however, it's not puss. No worms visible, but will try that again to make certain. Have a beautiful day.

Tylan 50 can be given 3 or 4 times daily, and dosage is 0.2 ml per pound. I would give it orally. For a barred rock, if she weighed 7 piunds, that would be 1.4 ml.
Do you see any other signs of a respiratory nature, such as eye bubbles, nasal drainage, or sneezing? Sometimes rarely swelling around eyes can be due to a tumor or insect/tick bites.

Tylan 50 can be given 3 or 4 times daily, and dosage is 0.2 ml per pound. I would give it orally. For a barred rock, if she weighed 7 piunds, that would be 1.4 ml.
Do you see any other signs of a respiratory nature, such as eye bubbles, nasal drainage, or sneezing? Sometimes rarely swelling around eyes can be due to a tumor or insect/tick bites.
Thank you. No other signs/symptoms. We did think of tumor, however, the swelling is affecting both eyes, especially her left eye, as you can see.

Well... We applied a combination of advice from this thread -increased her Tylan 50 dosage to 1cc/day. She's been on Tylan 6 days now altogether. Yesterday we applied Terramycin as well. The swelling has gotten even bigger as of today, regretfully. With that in mind, we just now (7:15pm Central) attempted to aspirate the swollen area with a syringe (my wife is a nurse), to see if the swelling was due to puss. It does not appear to be, unfortunately. The needle insertion would have certainly caused immediate drainage if it was puss-filled. Instead, just blood. We've left it at that for now, and applied more Terramycin to the eye. I am afraid this girl's got a tumor. If anyone thinks otherwise, by all means. Her behavior is still quite normal. If we can totally rule out respiratory illness, I am inclined to reintroduce her to the flock and at least allow her to live out her days, unless that's a bad idea? Thanks for chiming in, folks.

I would agree that it my be a tumor. I would place her her in a dog crate in the coop where she can be with her flock, and provide her own food and water. I have seen a couple of these that ends up being tumors from others who have posted in the past. If you have a vet willing to see her, you can get a second opinion, and they may be willing to put her down if needed. Sorry that it doesn't look good, but you can take some time to decide what to do. As bad as it may be that she may have a tumor, it would be better for your flock that it is not a respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom