Respiratory sounds- first time hearing this

Mhornyak

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
Original thought 2 days ago was dry fowl pox with the eye and wattle spots. Now I'm thinking respiratory. Her other eye is watery. No coughing, sneezing or nasal discharge, but she's making a lot of noise breathing. No mouth lesions that i can see.
I'll attach photo and video from this morning. I have started tube hydration with electrolytes and enrofloxacin. All the other hens are fine.
Any other thoughts/ suggestions? @azygous @casportpony

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240301_183643.jpg
    20240301_183643.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240303_092619.jpg
    20240303_092619.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If she has MG, they have all been exposed anyway the same way she was. I usually do not separate chickens from their flock, due to it upsetting them and changing the pecking order. It can make it harder to bring them back into the flock, the longer they are out

She has not been eating or drinking on her own once the respiratory noises had started. I'm hoping she will want to eat/ drink on her own, soon.
I have a 10%respiratory solution with enro, instructions say to use 0.3ml once a day for 10 days, so that's what I had been doing.

Should I switch to the 0.25ml twice a day, then?

Thanks for all your help!
What is her weight in kilograms? If it is 3 Kg, then I would go ahead and give the 0.3 ml twice a day for 5 days. Dosage can vary between 5, 10, or 15 mg per kilogram. Here is a post about dosage by casportpony:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-for-a-4lb-hen.1240572/page-2#post-19918452

Is enro working? I would only switch if you are not experiencing success. I keep a large bottle of it for respiratory issues during changing weather. Many breeders give it to their chickens before a show as a preventantive. Not the intended use, but it is how I found out.

Enrofloxacin is probably the most effective antibiotic to use for MG, reproductive disorders, etc. Viruses, including fowl pox will not respond to any antibiotic. I would finish the course. Be aggressive treating the eye at least twice a day with flushing with saline, and applying Terramycin.

I tried the tuna, but she wasn't interested. I put her in a small covered, contained area and she really perked up being outside for 2 hours (away from the flock but still in audible range) . She pecked a little at the feed, which I saw as a good sign. Hopefully tomorrow is even better.

If she has MG, they have all been exposed anyway the same way she was. I usually do not separate chickens from their flock, due to it upsetting them and changing the pecking order. It can make it harder to bring them back into the flock, the longer they are out
Thank you! We have an area we can put her closer to the others, but still protected until her eye is healed up

Back
Top Bottom