Return to coop at night...

blriehl

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Central PA
I have eight 14 week old "chicks" that I have been attempt to to coop train for the last two weeks. Yesterday was their first time outside of the coop (in the run) and at dusk I went out to find them huddled under the coop; not inside :( I think they may be afraid of the steps going up, but how do I teach them that's where home is? I thought locking them in for a week and a half would do it :/

I have eight 14 week old "chicks" that I have been attempt to to coop train for the last two weeks. Yesterday was their first time outside of the coop (in the run) and at dusk I went out to find them huddled under the coop; not inside
sad.png
I think they may be afraid of the steps going up, but how do I teach them that's where home is? I thought locking them in for a week and a half would do it
hmm.png
You might try keeping their food and water in the coop until they learn to go there on their own. I sometimes lure mine with meal worms when I want them in the coop earlier than they want to go in.

Chances are it is dark in the coop. Put a little lite on and I bet they go right in. If you dont have electric in the coop you can use a flashlight or battery camping lamp just until they get in. After they get used to going inside before dark probably in about 3 days you can stop putting a light on for them

Chances are it is dark in the coop. Put a little lite on and I bet they go right in. If you dont have electric in the coop you can use a flashlight or battery camping lamp just until they get in. After they get used to going inside before dark probably in about 3 days you can stop putting a light on for them

It is dark in the coop! I will have to try it!

Back
Top Bottom