Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
All chickens go broody, so yes

While there is a bit of truth in this statement it is also true that some breeds are more prone to broodiness than others and that in the case of production stock (ie hatchery lines) the tendency towards broodiness has been purposefully bred out as much as possible so, in fact, not "all chickens" go broody as many chickens will go their entire lifetime without a single broody episode and others will spend most of their lives being broody.

Last edited:

Hey guys! So I'm a bit confused. This is a pic of my first group of RIR's (with some black sex links and barred rocks in the picture also).

These chicks have since died, but we are starting up a new flock after securing our coop. I noticed that my new baby RIRs don't look anything like the RIRs I see all over the internet. They seem extremely dark to me?

The ones you are holding look near exactly like my new chicks. I did, however, search for a breeder that their birds had true heritage RIR traits, like having the dark mahogany -almost black- in colour plumage, as well as a really nice and defined brick body shapes.

Last edited:
I've got two RIR roos that are the same age and came from the same hatchery and one is twice the size of the other. The small one, Little Red, has been crowing since he was 8 weeks old. The larger one, Big Red, doesn't crow but goes around making a strange sound. His neck is so long and his legs are so long with his feathers it looks like he has on short capri pants

Big Red 17 weeks old

Little Red

hi guys this is my newest additions to my mixed flock and they weren't sure exactly what they are but I am thinking (hoping)RIR's, and from feathers coming in thinking it's 2 rooster and 2 hens, also if you have a mixed flock you don't have to worry as much, the pullet in my avatar are taking care of these little ones isn't old enough to lay eggs yet but she sure wants to raise baby chicks lol

Last edited:
you can post a couple of different ways and maybe someone up in your neck of the woods will help you out with re-homing them I would but to far to re-home them to me and my friend would hurt me lol, this was a good first post though too as we do have RIR's and might be someone in your area

free

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

or if you are wanting to sell them here is this forums stuff you need to know

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/250783/buy-sell-trade-rules-must-read-agree-to-participate-in-bst

another idea is you could post on like craigslist for your area and see if someone answers , but not sure if those are free or not, asking friends or family that are in the country is another option

Also if you order from the same place all the time ans don't appreciate getting chickens you could ask them put a note to that effect, the worst they can say is no

Last edited:
you can post on Craigs list for free... and they have an animal section and a free section, great places to get rid of extra roosters

Also, if you have a local facebook page, those tend to be very active, and are also great ways to get rid of extra animals.

Back
Top Bottom