Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
not sure why but in colder climates they also like warm oatmeal with cayenne pepper and about a half tsp of fresh garlic in it too, along with my leghorns. The fatter dual purpose chickens in the flock don't eat much like the reds roosters and leghorns do lol.

The cayenne and warm oatmeal keeps em warm while the garlic helps keep em a little healthier as it's natural properties are anti bacterial,fungal and viral.

We started our chicken family in May. We have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 7 Barred Rocks. We are enjoying raising these chickens.
Here are some pictures of our RIRs.

ours seem to be following the barred rock rooster, they just started crowing and 1 -2 are being flock terrors, chasing the hens . Think we ended up with all roosters

Here is the newest pic of ours

They got tired of fishing in the ditch with the duck and hens and came back to sneak into the hens feed while they were busy so they didn't get beat up lol. Though we had 1 rooster and 2 hens , then they went through a molt and think we got 3 Roosters need to find hens now lol

Last edited:
Should I be concerned that none of my RIR pullets that will be 25 weeks on Wednesday are laying yet. Only half have even seen their combs change.

Hi, 1st time poster here

Got some ISA Brown Hens coming along with a pure bred Rhode Island Red Rooster. Could anyone tell me how their offspring will turn out?? Will they be good layers?

Yes both breeds are good layers isa brown came from rir I believe so it'll be ok to breed them it might strengthen the blood

Back
Top Bottom