Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
My brother lives in Northern Michigan. He has a coop for his birds but they also prefer their barn. They usually pretty much all lay in the same spot in the barn in the hay. This was their first snow this year. They have much more on the ground now.

Last edited:
Last year I would have said no, because my hens never missed a day even all winter long, but this year is a different story, I'm only getting 3 eggs every other day from 14 hens!!! A few of mine went into molt before winter so that could have alot to do with it, I also wormed them recently, and you have to take into account that I have the production type rhode islands that are over the year mark now and I've heard they slow down quite a bit after that so idk you will have to wait and see what other people say.

Last edited:
I have 10 RIR how old do they have to be before they can lay eggs?
welcome-byc.gif
Hatchery Reds usually start to lay at around 6 months old. Pure bred Reds can take up to 9 months before they start to lay.

I have 5 Rhode Islands and they are by far the friendliest girls in my coop.My husband and i carry them around the yard. They are great with kids. Very good egg layers even through the winter. I highly recommend this breed.

Back
Top Bottom