Rhode Island Red Thread!

I have often wondered how they package the eggs so they don't break. I no longer wonder after seeing the pics. Lol
yesss.gif

My RI Reds are adopted full grown. They have become a bit more friendly since I give them lots of attention. Are RI Reds known for any particular disposition? I'm wondering if I raise the chicks they will be more interested in human interaction. Any thoughts?

People will often say RIR are mean or nasty birds bunt more often then not those are production reds, completely different then heritage RIR's. Heritage I've read on here are nice and friendly. Just remember every chicken is different. I've also read on here where someone had a rooster that was aggressive to her and she killed it. She ended up hatching some of his chicks and she said his son was extremely friendly.

I raise Heritage Rhode Island Reds and they are great birds. I haven't had a mean one yet and I have raised them for many years. I also raise Rhode Island Whites. Some are in my avatar.

Hello everyone. My family and i just joined the forum and have just become new chicken owners as of 6 hours ago. We purchased 6 (1 week old judging by wing feathers forming) rhode island reds. We live in upstate new york (brrrrrrr, but not so bad this year) and these birds were specifically recommended and happened to be in days earl and tractor supply. All set up in a brood and ill begin assembly of the coop within the next week. Any and all advice is welcomed. The support on here is beyond awesome!!!

I raise Heritage Rhode Island Reds and they are great birds. I haven't had a mean one yet and I have raised them for many years. I also raise Rhode Island Whites. Some are in my avatar.

[/quote)

Do you find them noisy as chicks?I have 20 rir heritage , 6 weeks old and the way a few scream when chased is unbelievable!! They seem friendly and calm ....I'm wondering if the few younger ones are the screamers , time will tell.

Last edited:
We're still waiting for TSC to get chicks in. But honestly we have called every grain store around and nobody has chicks yet here in MA! I have 13 RI/NH Reds but am dying to raise some chicks.

Back
Top Bottom