Rhode Island Red Thread!

This is from 2011 from chris09:

The "heritage/non-hatchery" Rhode Island Reds origin can be dated back to the middle 1840s and one of the oldest breed of chicken to be developed in America. The early Rhode Island Red sported three types of combs, the first was the Pea comb which received its comb type from the Chittagong (Brahma) second is the Single comb which received its comb type from the Chinese Shanghai (Royal Cochin China) and the Rose comb which received its comb type from the Red Java. Today the Rhode Island Red only sports two of the three types of combs the Rose and the Single comb. The R.I. Red should be a dark Red Mahogany color, brick shape and weighing around 8½ lbs for cocks and 6½ lbs for hens.

Spin Off breeds of the Rhode Island Red are the New Hampshire and the Production Red.

The Production Red (hatchery Rhode Island Red) can come in two different lines, the first of the two was bred solely from the R.I. Red as with the New Hampshire but was bred more for the egg production.
The second type of Production Red is a R.I. Red with some Leghorn blood added to add to the egg production and may have added to the brown-ish color of some of the Production Red the some hatcheries call there, "Dark Rhode Island Reds".
Neither of the two Production Reds line look look, or perform like a true Rhode Island Red.

Chris

This is from 2011 from chris09:

The "heritage/non-hatchery" Rhode Island Reds origin can be dated back to the middle 1840s and one of the oldest breed of chicken to be developed in America. The early Rhode Island Red sported three types of combs, the first was the Pea comb which received its comb type from the Chittagong (Brahma) second is the Single comb which received its comb type from the Chinese Shanghai (Royal Cochin China) and the Rose comb which received its comb type from the Red Java. Today the Rhode Island Red only sports two of the three types of combs the Rose and the Single comb. The R.I. Red should be a dark Red Mahogany color, brick shape and weighing around 8½ lbs for cocks and 6½ lbs for hens.

Spin Off breeds of the Rhode Island Red are the New Hampshire and the Production Red.

The Production Red (hatchery Rhode Island Red) can come in two different lines, the first of the two was bred solely from the R.I. Red as with the New Hampshire but was bred more for the egg production.
The second type of Production Red is a R.I. Red with some Leghorn blood added to add to the egg production and may have added to the brown-ish color of some of the Production Red the some hatcheries call there, "Dark Rhode Island Reds".
Neither of the two Production Reds line look look, or perform like a true Rhode Island Red.

Chris

True, here are a few pictures. My avatar is some Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites and my pure Heritage Rhode Island Red youngsters in a grow-out pen.

Rose Comb RIR female.

Youngsters in a grow-out pen.

One of my Single Comb RIR males (Wallace)

One of my Rose Comb RIR males (Dexter)

A Rose Comb RIW pullet, a Single Comb RIR pullet, and a Red Sex-Link. (Patty, Laverne, and Maxene, the Andrew sisters)

Some of the Single Comb cockerels in a bachelor coop and pen.

Last edited:
So unfair that the roosters get to be so beautiful!!!

A " grow out pen ", is it for the teenagers ? Before they lay?

So unfair that the roosters get to be so beautiful!!!

A " grow out pen ", is it for the teenagers ? Before they lay?

Yes, First I incubate and hatch the eggs. I hatch in my styrofoam incubators. When the chicks hatch they go into a brooder box for a few hours until they dry then they go into a brooder cabinet and after 2/3 weeks in the cabinet they go out to a grow-out coop and pen. This is just the way that I found that works for me. I'm sure others have there own particular way for brooders.

Brooder Box.

Thanks for the amazing pictures , they've taken over your house I see!!! You have an amazing set up I'm impressed.I bet your house is never silent
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

I'm planning on adding a grow out pen for my chicks before they need nesting boxes, it's a good idea .

Last edited:
These are my girls! Year old. I can't wait for it to be warm enough for them to get outside!
[/IMG]

I have one RIR with constant ruffled back feathers since she was young, I am unsure why

YES, FINALLY!!! I got my first egg from my one Rhode Island Reds! I was so HAPPY! And then go figure, one of my other eggs I collected rolled into it and cracked it!!!!!!!!! Do you think she will lay another tomorrow? Or will it be another few days!?????
how long did u have to wait?

Back
Top Bottom