Rhode Island Red vs Astrolorp

Are they only picking on the younger ones or all of the Australorps? Chickens in general can be vicious to newcomers.
They mostly get on top of the younger ones, but have seen them go after the older ones too. They are certainly fed well enough, they are spoiled rotten!

Rhode Island Reds are known to be an aggressive breed, with the Rhode Island Red Bantams being the opposite of that personality. How much room do you have where your chickens are? If the hens are being so aggressive that they are injuring the others, then they need to be separated to prevent any severe harm or killing.

Hmm that’s weird they’re going after the older ones too
Also have another question, I am new to these forums so hope I am posting correctly.
I have one 7 month old that was born needing lots of attention to keep going, was very frail, and now is doing great, but very timid being the weakest of 12 hens. My question is can anyone tell me what may be wrong with her eyes? They been like this pretty much since hatching, i doctor them once a week. But any knowledge is surely appreciated. No one else has had this eye issue, shes been around others 7 months now. Eye is looking a little cloudier than before.
She eats and drinks okay, loves tiny stones better than grit.

Also have another question, I am new to these forums so hope I am posting correctly.
I have one 7 month old that was born needing lots of attention to keep going, was very frail, and now is doing great, but very timid being the weakest of 12 hens. My question is can anyone tell me what may be wrong with her eyes? They been like this pretty much since hatching, i doctor them once a week. But any knowledge is surely appreciated. No one else has had this eye issue, shes been around others 7 months now. Eye is looking a little cloudier than before.
She eats and drinks okay, loves tiny stones better than grit.
Do you have any pictures?

Attachments

• 20240419_095541.jpg
    20240419_095541.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240419_094841.jpg
    20240419_094841.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240419_095456.jpg
    20240419_095456.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240419_094942.jpg
    20240419_094942.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 8
Run is large enough for many more hens. Outside of run is another play area , fenced on nice days too.
They got room.
I had a Rhodebar hen, which is basically a RIR with barring. She was a good chick and turned to a monster with no reason. One day, she started to chase her brooder mates and drew blood for fun! They had a large coop and run and free ranged a long time each day. Even though there are some sweet RIR chickens, there are many RIR carrying aggressive genes.

I just got rid of an adult rooster.
This astrolorp rooster was one year old and very agressive toward humans, and was ruining our hens.
So. DO not think I want another rooster, had too many attack scares.

Back
Top Bottom