Rhode Island Red x Black Australorps

2E0E3BAC-E64F-4C57-B6FB-3D3D97EB363A.jpeg
ADD35005-5CAE-4207-A90A-C797E6FD8F9F.jpeg
3F20DC9E-158D-4A41-9506-38127BBD2177.jpeg
07D54294-6A16-44BE-A84B-64021E4B85DE.jpeg
Here are my RIR roo x Black Australorp hen babies. They are 6 months old. A family photo with mom and dad (and an adopted copper maran brother). One hen is solid black with gorgeous green iridescence and just a smidge of red around her collar. The other has a beautiful full red collar and lots a green and purple shimmer on her black.

Here's a couple (one hen, one rooster) I hatched out last year from my Rhode Island Red rooster and a friend's Black Australorp hen. I thought they were sharp looking. They were staying at his house. Now get this. He didn't think they were that pretty and when a guy came by to buy a goat from him he sold him these two chickens as well. For $14 each. Guess how much of that money I got? Ended that partnership real quick!

RIRxBlackAustralorp.jpg

Last edited:
We did and our first just hatched! It's all yellow with a tiny splotch of black on its head. So cute. RIR hen with astralorp roo. Hatched by our broody hen. So fun!

Last edited:
20180123_125220.jpg
SAM_2447.JPG
I thought I'd post some updated photos of my hatchling (prior post) and her nest mate companion. They are now inseparable. Hopefully around May 1st she'll be laying her first egg. This is my black Australorp/RIR cross pullet, Baby Girl, she'll be 6 months on May 1st and her nest companion Baby Boy. He'll be 6 months on May 4th. Top photo they were about 12 weeks, bottom photo they were about 14 weeks.

20180123_125223.jpg

Here's a better photo of her at 12 weeks. She's difficult to catch and photograph.

Last edited:
I have that mix in eggs right now, I am wondering what will be produced too?
This is an old thread, but it's gotten fairly long as various people have added pictures of their crosses. So if you look through all the posts in the thread, hopefully you can get a good idea of what to expect for your chicks.

The chicks have a lot of black, and as they grow they get some bits of other colors in their feathers.

This is an old thread, but it's gotten fairly long as various people have added pictures of their crosses. So if you look through all the posts in the thread, hopefully you can get a good idea of what to expect for your chicks.

The chicks have a lot of black, and as they grow they get some bits of other colors in their feathers.
Thank you NatJ

Back
Top Bottom