ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
My question is, Can you breed regular stock RIR so much that you get darker RIR? Or will I have to buy a darker rooster every other generation to get darker? Any help is very much appreciated!!

Buying a darker rooster is probably the fastest way, but just breeding the darkest ones from a regular flock should work in time. I think that's how Rhode Island Reds got so dark in the first place, people just kept breeding the darkest ones.

Buying a darker rooster is probably the fastest way, but just breeding the darkest ones from a regular flock should work in time. I think that's how Rhode Island Reds got so dark in the first place, people just kept breeding the darkest ones.
Great! Thank you so much!

Why would use use Stock RIR if you can use Standard ones?
You can, but I don’t see why you should.
I just have some hens from a ways back and they came from cackle or hoovers hatchery. Got from a store, and it was before they changed where they got their chicks.
so I was gonna use them and a darker rooster I have. Then keep the darkest offspring and breed back and fourth

I just have some hens from a ways back and they came from cackle or hoovers hatchery. Got from a store, and it was before they changed where they got their chicks.
so I was gonna use them and a darker rooster I have. Then keep the darkest offspring and breed back and fourth
So what is ultimately the goal?

Back
Top Bottom