Rhode Island Red Breed Question

Mirindaj

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2022
I have a question for Rhode Island Red owners. I have a good size flock but will be adding 13 Rhode Island Hens and 1 RIR rooster to the group this summer. I’m looking for any experience/advice on the breed as it’s our first time having them. I’ve been reading conflicting messages from sites from aggressive to sweethearts so I thought I’d ask experienced owners on their opinions rather than just research. Thanks so much in advance!

I have a question for Rhode Island Red owners. I have a good size flock but will be adding 13 Rhode Island Hens and 1 RIR rooster to the group this summer. I’m looking for any experience/advice on the breed as it’s our first time having them. I’ve been reading conflicting messages from sites from aggressive to sweethearts so I thought I’d ask experienced owners on their opinions rather than just research. Thanks so much in advance!
My experience is Rhode Island Red hens can be domineering but when they are the ones being added, there may be some scuffles over pecking order, these hens will settle in close to the top. However future additions to your flock may be met with those Rhode Island Hens getting a little rough with the newbies. If you already have a rooster in your flock, adding a Rhode Island Red potentially could lead to a dual to the death. That's my experience.

In Rhode Island Reds it is dependent on the strain (who bred them).
Production vs. utility strains. The lighter colored production strains are the problem children in my experience. I stick with the dark, dark red mahogany and find them to be more docile, but Rhode Island Reds are not shrinking violets.

Back
Top Bottom