Rhode Island White Thread

Pics

Flippacase

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Massachusetts
This is a thread devoted to the Rhode island white...NOT THE RHODE ISLAND RED. They are separate breeds and I hope everyone knows that. This breed seems to be pretty uncommon as I have only seen like two other people on this site with them.

Both comb styles are accepted.

Post some pics of your RIWs or any information about the breed.

Here's a couple of shots of mine, I need to get some better pics.

1571_019_copy.jpg

1571_018_copy.jpg

1571_riw3.jpg

Quote:
If by accepted you mean for purposes of this thread that's your call.

If by accepted you mean accepted in the Standard with other than a rose comb you're mistaken. Rhode Island Whites are a rose comb only breed in the APA Standard of Perfection. There are people with single combed white birds that they call Rhode Island Whites but they have never been admitted to the Standard in single combed form.

I am curious to know, from anyone who actually raises RI Whites, are they as aggressive as the RI Reds?

A true bred RI Red is not aggressive. That simply isn't my experience. Those hot blooded, souped up, top laying, rusty orange hybrids sold by the hatcheries as Rhode Island Reds (sic) may indeed be. I'd have no idea, but 99% of the time when someone posts about an "aggressive" RIR and posts a photo, it isn't a true Rhode Island Red at all. FWIW.

Last edited:
Hi there I am new to world of raising chickens and would like some help if anyone can. I have what are supposed to be Rhode Island White chickens with one being a White Rock thrown in as bonus with blue legs. After reading all the posts I am confused as to what the RIW's really should look like and how to tell difference between sexes. Mine are about 7 weeks old they look to have blue/green eyes and pale combs so far. Will try and post pics after I figure out how to get them out of my phone and onto here. Thanks so much. Scratch that skin is reddish and feet orange/yellow and combs orange/pink
Rhode Island Whites have yellow legs, rose combs (most hatcheries send you single combs from what I have seen.), and a brick like body.

Here are some pictures of one a pullets ... The male has a lot to grow yet.

Pictures above I think show fairly good confirmation and unlike a lot of whites that I have seen. She has an excellent tail...not pinched as you see in the picture below.

Now my male is way to young to really know what is happening. I will add a picture once I can get a better pose.

R.I. Whites have always interested me and hopefully I'll get some, someday. I will say that while Single combs are not accepted in the APA, the ABA DOES accept them. They are on the inactive list, but if you have an older ABA standard, you can see the complete description.

David

Back
Top Bottom