Rhode Island White Thread

I have just acquired 2 Dozen RIW Eggs from Penny with OkieCritters. What is everyone's favorite quality for RIW? All her birds have Straight Combs and very well built bodies and also very sociable! I set them yesterday! Ill keep you all informed on how there incubation.

Nate

Quote:
Sorry to say, If they have Single Combs then there not Rhode Island Whites (R.I. Whites).
R.I. Whites only come in Rose Comb.

Chris

Quote:
Sorry to say, If they have Single Combs then there not Rhode Island Whites (R.I. Whites).

Chris

I have heard that there are a heritage RIW and a "Production" RIW. Is this the breed that I have?

Thank you,

Nate

Quote:

Chris

I have heard that there are a heritage RIW and a "Production" RIW. Is this the breed that I have?

Thank you,

Nate

Hatcheries sell a "Production" breed that they are calling a R.I. White the only thing they have in common with a R.I. White is that they are White.
What hatcheries are selling are a cross and most likely a cross of White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, and New Hampshire blood at best.

The R.I. White is a very rare breed that is getting harder to find, the breed was created by crossing a Partridge Cochin, White Wyandote and a Rose Comb White Leghorn they are also a completely different breed from the R.I. Red and not a variety.

By saying "Production" R.I. White can comes in Single Comb is like saying that the "Production" Plymouth Rock can come Rose Comb.
wink.png

Chris

Last edited:
Hatcheries sell a "Production" breed that they are calling a R.I. White the only thing they have in common with a R.I. White is that they are White.
What hatcheries are selling are a cross and most likely a cross of White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, and New Hampshire blood at best.

The R.I. White is a very rare breed that is getting harder to find, the breed was created by crossing a Partridge Cochin, White Wyandote and a Rose Comb White Leghorn they are also a completely different breed from the R.I. Red and not a variety.

By saying "Production" R.I. White can comes in Single Comb is like saying that the "Production" Plymouth Rock can come Rose Comb.
wink.png

Chris

R.I. Whites have always interested me and hopefully I'll get some, someday. I will say that while Single combs are not accepted in the APA, the ABA DOES accept them. They are on the inactive list, but if you have an older ABA standard, you can see the complete description.

David
So Rock N Faverolles does know what hes talking about RIGHT> are you only talking about the apa standard Chris. What does it mean they are on the inactive list for the ABA standard that accepts single comb Rock N Faverolles

Edit. Sry if your are a lady Rock N Faverolles i always forget to comment as gender natural. especially when someones profile does not list gender.

Last edited:

wink.png

Chris

Most old timers believe that Rhode Island White went extinct. They never achieved a large population or following in the first place. Robert Blosl thinks they went away, that's pretty good authority.

The birds being sold as RIW are often just white (silver) birds. Many do not even have rose combs, for pity sake. Mr Blosl thinks they are merely recreations using Rocks, Leghorns and Wyandottes and that seems likely. The RIW is not a white variety of the Red, that is true. It is a whole other breed, or was. What is being sold is so far, far from brick shaped body type it isn't funny.

The RIW can/could be re-created, however. I'm not sure a huge following would keep the re-creation alive either, but who knows.

I don't know if anyone has the Bantam version either, accepted by the American Bantam Association. No idea.

I am curious to know, from anyone who actually raises RI Whites, are they as aggressive as the RI Reds?

A true bred RI Red is not aggressive. That simply isn't my experience. Those hot blooded, souped up, top laying, rusty orange hybrids sold by the hatcheries as Rhode Island Reds (sic) may indeed be. I'd have no idea, but 99% of the time when someone posts about an "aggressive" RIR and posts a photo, it isn't a true Rhode Island Red at all. FWIW.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom