Rhode Island WHITE?

They post a lot of "not so true" stuff also.
Read up on comb genetic and I think you will find that the genetics back what I posted.

OK, Just trying to help. I am new to chickens this past spring. I am getting rose combed RIW's from Sandhill in May this year. Thanks for your input, trying to learn as much as I can. Chicken are addictive...lol

They post a lot of "not so true" stuff also.
Read up on comb genetic and I think you will find that the genetics back what I posted.
No one should take lightly your comments, because you are obviously experienced and knowledgeable, but since the "they" referred to includes, presumably, The Livestock Conservancy and many others reporting similar experiences over many decades and across many different breeds, the moderator's explanation in Post #49 appears to me to have serious merit.......Even a cursory reading of the history of domesticated chickens dating back 10,000 years teaches me that, when it comes to chickens, anything can be expected...There are way too many people from separated places and with different agendas to state with certainty any facts except the most basic.......On a totally non-related note, The Livestock Conservancy is a great organization that deserves support from people interested in a revival of economically viable heritage poultry breeds.......Everyone's comments here are interesting....Thanks for the civility of the discussion...

OK, Just trying to help. I am new to chickens this past spring. I am getting rose combed RIW's from Sandhill in May this year. Thanks for your input, trying to learn as much as I can. Chicken are addictive...lol
I understand, The R.I. Whites are a very good breed.
Even though the R.I. Red and the R.I. Red are two different breeds some breeders of R.I, Reds have a fair knowledge of the R.I. White so some Red breeders may be able to help you.

When your Whites come from Sandhill and you if you plain on breeding for the preservation of the breed and or for showing what I would do is do some test breeding with your new flock.
This would set you back a year or so in breeding whites but it will allow you as the breeder to know just what you have and some of the genes that you Whites have.

If you want to try the test breeding you will need a non-white, single comb breed.

Last edited:
No one should take lightly your comments, because you are obviously experienced and knowledgeable, but since the "they" referred to includes, presumably, The Livestock Conservancy and many others reporting similar experiences over many decades and across many different breeds, the moderator's explanation in Post #49 appears to me to have serious merit.......Even a cursory reading of the history of domesticated chickens dating back 10,000 years teaches me that, when it comes to chickens, anything can be expected...There are way too many people from separated places and with different agendas to state with certainty any facts except the most basic.......On a totally non-related note, The Livestock Conservancy is a great organization that deserves support from people interested in a revival of economically viable heritage poultry breeds.......Everyone's comments here are interesting....Thanks for the civility of the discussion...

The Livestock Conservancy is what I and a lot of others that breed old breeds would call a fair to good organization. There divination of "heritage" needs a lot of work because it leaves out a lot of old breeds, breeds that have been around far longer than any of the breeds that are in the SoP or recognized by the APA. At one time there was talk that the American Poultry Association was going to come up with there own definition of what is a heritage breed which would be a bit different than that of the Livestock Conservancy's definition. I hope that they (the APA) also states that there the heritage breed that APA recognizes and that there are other heritage breeds that are not in the APA.

Just more "monkey wrenching" of this civil, yet indepth conversation.

The folks in the know, really experienced breeders and poultry judges who know their stuff, often state that the original lines of the RIW died out, went extinct. That's important to grasp, even though you may or may not entirely bank on that belief. I personally believe that since the poultry world went so many years, with no RIW being exhibited, that the belief seems quite plausible. Also, the breeder/exhibition/judges world is somewhat small. Folks really do know each other and keep up with what's what.

The RIW was a strange breed that most folks felt never found proper traction. It was a composite breed, of course, being a cross with a White Rock and Wyandotte most likely, with perhaps something else to tweak it, if I recall correctly.

The White Rocks so dominated the poultry world (and continue to do so) that the RIW never really had much of a chance. Just the way it is. Life long poultry judges will tell you they've never judged them. Ever. Sobering thoughts there.

Among these fanciers it is also generally held as gospel that the modern RIW as of more recent re-creation and those that have surfaced just struggle to please the critical eye of those who judge them. I don't say any of this to be merely a bearer of bad news, but to simply say that anyone getting into improving these RIW and exhibiting them, and having them compete and judged by their Standard as they surely will, must realize it is an uphill climb to gain respectability. It isn't going to be easy. The American class is a tough class with birds of awesome quality in a few of the varieties.

Not to belabor the point, but the RIW isn't alone on this uphill climb. There are many varieties of Rocks that are in disastrous shape as well. These days, there are simply too many fashionable breeds and far, far too few dedicated and talented breeders of standard bred Large Fowl. It is tough sledding to be sure.

WOW some great conversations on our Rhode Island Whites...loving it.

Jeanette B at livestock conservancy and I have talked back and forth several times this year. She had some for a while and then got rid of them for some reason…like a move. I have contacted everyone that said they had them. Not one on the list still has them. I have a data base I am keeping of people who have them. List is short but at least it is a start.

One problem of getting them going is getting those who have large flocks of them to send you eggs or chicks. Frank Reese has two different breeders close to him but again it is really hard to get birds unless you go there and pick them up.

I do not mind shipping eggs but just cannot ship birds or chicks. When someone orders a dozen hatching eggs from me I usually send them 18. Can't always do that but the thing is shipping is such a shot in the dark as if they will hatch or not and if you send the extras maybe they will hatch enough to get started.

Rob

I think I have found myself 2 Rhode Island Whites (with the Rose Combs)

Back
Top Bottom