Rhode Island WHITE?

Quote:
Some rocks lay darker brown eggs than others. I don't think you could determine breed solely on the colour of the egg between the two breeds.

White rocks are very common, and RIW are not.

Right thats what I was saying just used SS instead of the Rocks, was just pointing out that the egg color doesn't mean much when determining breed.
smile.png

I just have a horrible time trying to make myself understood, Its right in my head But, for some reason it just doesn't come through right on paper for me!
big_smile.png

I have that problem a lot too!
hugs.gif

Quote:
thats not true. i have a single comb RIW i bought a few years ago as a chick. maybe hes not pure. idk

There is NO Single Comb Rhode Island Whites, What you have is a cross breed from a hatchery that mislabels them as a Rhode Island Whites.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
thats not true. i have a single comb RIW i bought a few years ago as a chick. maybe hes not pure. idk

There is NO Single Comb Rhode Island Whites, What you have is a cross breed from a hatchery that mislabels them as a Rhode Island Whites.

Chris

Chrisd is absolutely right [he usually is]. Unlike Rhode Island Reds which are standardized in both single & rose combed Rhode Island Whites are a rose combed breed only. Someone may have sold you a single combed white bird & said it was a Rhode Island White but they were either lying or wrong.

Thanks all - I"m going with Plymouth Rock.. No one told me it was a RIW, she was a stray and I started looking through the breeds list and thought she looked just like the one in the picture.

Rhode Island Whites are rare, I believe I read somewhere there are less than 3,000 of them around 2003.

Your discover led me to my discovery that the bird we have is a Rhode Island White. A twin to your bird. lol I am so glad to know what I have. Now I can get a clearer picture of how to breed her. She is just becoming more friendly but is skiddish of me still. I am trying to get her to my hand so I can pick her up and take a better look at her. Our rooster won't come near me at all. He scurries away, but he doesn't squawk so that is good. Thank you for the info.

Your discover led me to my discovery that the bird we have is a Rhode Island White. A twin to your bird. lol I am so glad to know what I have. Now I can get a clearer picture of how to breed her. She is just becoming more friendly but is skiddish of me still. I am trying to get her to my hand so I can pick her up and take a better look at her. Our rooster won't come near me at all. He scurries away, but he doesn't squawk so that is good. Thank you for the info.
If your bird looks like the bird in the original post, you also have a White Rock type bird.

There are no Rhode Island Whites with either that body type, nor a single comb. All RIW have rose combs. Hatcheries or other people selling RIW with single combs are simply not being truthful. The Dominiques, the Buckeye, and many other breeds are rosecombed. They do not have a single comb variety. Ever.

goodpost.gif
I agree, im thinking that she's a white plymoth rock,or mabie just a mixed breed that came out white. My best guess, white plymoth rock

Is anyone breeding Rhode Island Whites - I mean the real kind Rose Comb not the hatchery single combed? Looking to chat with some breeders about what they have etc.

Back
Top Bottom